Mystery broadband connection

Remy Martin 20:55 24 Mar 04

I am using Windows XP with an Alcatel Speedtouch broadband modem. My ISP is freeserve. When I launch Outlook 2000, it is able to retrieve any mail from my Freeserve account without my connection having been established. It cannot retrieve mail from my other ISPs until I have manually established the connection. None of my other programs seem able to establish an internet connection like this.

Is this normal and is it something I should worry about from a security point of view?

mackaycc 21:37 24 Mar 04

Have you checked the properties of each mail acount to make sure they are able to connect without redialling? In OE go to tools> e-mail accounts> view e-mail acounts. Now check the properties of each account. Click "More settings" and then "connection" to see how they are set to connect.

Djohn 21:39 24 Mar 04

I think you may have "Outlook" set to check for mail when your PC is first booted up, if so then it will establish a connection to your ISP to check for mail every time you switch your PC on.

You can alter this if you wish from the tools/options menu. Not quite sure of the setting as I use Express but this will bring you back to the top and someone will know the exact method of doing this. j.

Djohn 21:40 24 Mar 04

That was quick "mackaycc". You answered before you saw my post! ;o)

Remy Martin 20:34 25 Mar 04

Thanks for that. I'll check it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…