Mystery 16 bit Windows Subsystem

porridge 10:42 02 Dec 04

I am using XP Pro and have done so for a year or more. Yesterday, when I tried to open a certain program which I used only a couple of weeks ago quite satisfactorily the following happened:-
A message appeared headed "16 Bit Windows Subsystem"
The message read "This system file is not suitable for running MSDOS and Microsoft Windows applications". I am not all that technically minded and therefore have no idea what this message means. Can any of you young techies elucidate and tell me what to do to get my programs running again. Is XP Pro not 32 bits?

Porridge (82)

The Spires 10:47 02 Dec 04

Have a read here,click here there are quite a few answers to this issue if you type 'This system file is not suitable for running MSDOS and Microsoft Windows applications' into Google.

JoeC 12:34 02 Dec 04
  Sethhaniel 13:10 02 Dec 04
  porridge 14:04 02 Dec 04

Many thanks to Spires, Joe C and Sethaniel. With your help I see that the mystery is one that lots of people have had to contend with and from the links you have suggested I expect to be able to find out what is wrong and to correct it.

Appreciate the trouble you have taken to assist me.

Porridge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…