Mysterious transfer

shellship 16:28 24 Apr 08

Had a call today from a relative newbie whom I have helped on several occasions to get going but this one has got me totally stumped. When going to shut down his lappie today he found a new button at the bottom left hand corner of his screen. When pressing it, it stated "shut down Brian's Cougar", so he rang me up and asked if he could shut down my machine remotely - mine is indeed Brian's Cougar. The only time our two machines have been near each other was when I was trying to see why his would not wirelessly access anywhere else other than his own BT router and brought it home here. I totally failed to get to connect wirelessly to my router but somehow his lappie has now got some reference to my machine in its innards. How??

shellship 18:14 24 Apr 08

Bump, please

shellship 11:10 25 Apr 08

Bump again

crosstrainer 11:21 25 Apr 08

Did you have remote assistance enabled at the time?

If not, sounds as if the lappy has picked up settings from the router at the time your machines were in proximity.

Open control panel and check the user accounts section, then post back.

shellship 17:28 25 Apr 08

Thanks. On my machine under User Accounts I have myself as Administrator, Guest Account and asp.net, whatever that latter is. Do you suggest I ask my mate to check his User Accounts? Have been in touch with him since my previous post and he has looked in his Network Places, found nowt, and Searched for Cougar and also found nowt. Curiouser and curiouser said Alice!

Ditch999 17:36 25 Apr 08

Right click My Computer > Properties > Computer Name. Is it set to Brian's Cougar?

shellship 17:57 25 Apr 08

Mine is, 'cos it's mine! Will ask him whether his name has changed.

crosstrainer 17:57 25 Apr 08

Delete the ASP account, and the samme for your own.

ronalddonald 21:28 25 Apr 08

ask cougar by ringing them or emailing them, they should know.

shellship 00:48 27 Apr 08

Thanks for responses. My mate (Robert) checked and this is response:
"1.Control Panel / User accounts says "Robert."
Talks about allowing a guest a/c but nothing in that place.
2.Hidden files and folders produces nothing either.
3.My Computer/Properties/Computer Name says "TOSHIBA" and nothing else.

The mystery remains a mystery."

Yes it is a mystery and we will have to put it down to Dr Who or Mr WiFi. Will tick as resolved 'cos we are not part of the unknown galaxy on PCA forums!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now