Mysterious Temporary Internet Files

Carafaraday 09:25 02 Jun 03

I deleted all cookies and temporary internet files in order to let McAfee run its weekly scan more quickly but find that there are still a huge number of temp files that it wades through. They seem to be c;windows\temporaryinternetfiles\ .. \6P15MJEF .........

These appear to be files from way back which I would have thought would have been deleted.

When I go to My Computer etc to find them - they aren't there! Can anyone tell me where they are, and why they are still there?

Could it be that you are using XP and you have more than 1 account set up?

If yes, then each user will have their own set of temporary internet files.

Carafaraday 10:08 02 Jun 03

No, using Windows 98, and only have 1 account set up.

Tog 13:07 02 Jun 03

In windows explorer.

You must have view hidden files set. If you expand the directory tree in the left hand pane, when you have "Content.ie5" highlighted, you should see around 4 or more directories in the right pane with randomly generated names. If you are having problems deleting the contents of these, highlight the Content.ie5 name and change it to anything. Reboot and windows will rebuild the Content.ie5 directory with default settings and it will now be empty. You will then be able to delete the original, renamed directory.

Carafaraday 13:34 02 Jun 03

Thanks for that - I have IE6 but presume it is similar? Is it safe to delete everything in all these files?

Tog 14:13 02 Jun 03

Content.ie5 is also used in IE6 (MS didn't bother to rename it). If you delete it, you will lose all your cookie data, but as you have tried deleting cookies anyway, I wouldn't see this as a problem.

Carafaraday 15:56 02 Jun 03

I expect it is just me being dim but when I go to Windows\Temporary Internet Files, I don't find any folders - just the files which have arrived today. The files I am interested in seem to be invisible - except that McAfee spends ages ploughing its way through them when doing a scan. Could they be 'hidden' files, which I have to do something in order that I can see them? If so, what do I do? and is it still ok to zap them?

Many thanks for your comments so far.

Carafaraday 16:00 02 Jun 03

Sorry - just tried to locate files through 'find' and there it is. Do I just delete these files including contents.ie5 file, or delete files and leave contents.ie5?

If you could be bothered to explain to me how these get created I would be most grateful. But I'm really pleased to have got this far anyway!

Carafaraday 20:39 02 Jun 03

If anyone can add anything I'd be glad to know. I'm a bit wary of deleting stuff, but some of these files are BIG. Just don't know whether you delete only the content of files (with random 6P15JEF type names) or delete the files themselves. Also do I delete content.ie5, or leave it empty (hopefully) - anyone?

leo49 21:02 02 Jun 03

You can quite safely delete the contents of the 8digit/letter folders. These are the IE cache of data from web pages visited so that IE can quickly load the page if you revisit.

Valvegrid 21:09 02 Jun 03

I quite often empty all the folders in Content IE5, windows only restores 'em when you boot up next time.

If your worried try moving the folder to a different location temporarily and boot the computer again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…