Mysterious Storage Controller

Thurrafork 20:26 PM 17 May 11

Hello all

Just about to do an inplace upgrade (repair) of my Windows 7 64bit OS, due to various irritating problems.

A few minutes into the process a box appears telling me that my ASGKEL8A IDE storage controller won't function properly after the inplace upgrade, and suggests that I update it's drivers first.

I can find it in Device Manager and tried to update its driver from there, but 'Windows could not find drivers for this device'.

So I googled this device and can find absolutely nothing about it!

Anyone know what it is? Or know what would happen if I ignore the prompt to upgrade its drivers?

Thanks.

Taff™ 08:01 AM 18 May 11

I assume you are doing a repair from a Win 7 disk? If so do you also have another disk supplied with the computer that contains the drivers and software?

mooly 08:23 AM 18 May 11

Could be a card reader. I got a similar message clean installing Vista on Acer laptop. Go to the PC manufacturers support site to get driver if so.

Mine said "Mass storage controller" from memory.

Thurrafork 20:46 PM 18 May 11

Mystery solved. The Windows reinstall also advised that I remove Alcohol 52% virtual drive thingy - I did this and the mysterious mass storage device vanished. All is good... I hope. Thanks for the replies folks.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…