Mysterious Event Tones?

wetterfugal © 21:48 13 Jul 05

It maybe just a coincidence but since I replaced my failed Gigabyte motherboard with an Abit I am getting random short "tones" one higher pitched than the other. They seem to be indicating start and stop events though I am not accessing the computer at the time. They occur at varying intervals, 20min or 2min.
I have diabled the computer sounds and I have searched for all *.WAV files including system and all hidden files and I can't find these tones.

ABIT does not seem to want to reply to my email.

Can anyone help?

I am running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
1.67 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
85.10 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
AN7 (nVidia-nForce2) 1.X main board
768 Megabytes Installed Memory

wetterfugal © 08:57 15 Jul 05

Can anyone suggest other support forums that may be able to answer this problem for me?

ACOLYTE 09:25 15 Jul 05

Is this the bios beeping telling you that the CPU has reached the warning temp?,if its not and you have had program errors have you looked in the system error logs for a clue as to what the program was,it may be a program has tried to do something it shouldn't or access a place it shouldn't and has been stooped and thats the sound you here.I always use personal sound events so i know what sound goes with what that way when i hear one i know what it was.

woodchip 09:40 15 Jul 05

Have you cleard the hard drive and reinstalled after you fitted the different motherboard? if not that may be your problem.

wetterfugal © 10:29 15 Jul 05

The ABIT board has a monitoring utility for temperatures, voltages and fan speeds. All is within the stated limits. CPU >46c - 75c< and is running at 47c at the moment.

The event viewer shows one problem at shutdown,

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1517
Source: Userenv
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_HIVE_SAVED
Message: Windows saved user %1 registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Explanation
Windows unloads each user's profile and user's section of the registry when the user logs off. This message indicates that Windows could not unload the user's profile because a program was referencing the user's section of the registry. This locked the profile. The registry cannot unload profiles that are locked and in use. When the program that is locking the profile is no longer referencing the registry, the profile will be unloaded.

User Action
****** No user action is required. *******

All event sounds have been disabled and I have played all of the available sounds in the system and none resemble the offending sounds.

I have a suspicion that they may be associated with the bios.

BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 08/06/2004

wetterfugal © 10:33 15 Jul 05

No I did not clear the Hard Drive (there are three) but I did reinstall Win XP

ACOLYTE 13:33 15 Jul 05

I dont know about the sounds but this may help with the other error click here

woodchip 14:29 15 Jul 05

I think you are having problems with files that was for your old Mobo. Did you load the Motherboard CD drivers you got with the new Mobo?

wetterfugal © 15:05 15 Jul 05

ACCOLITE
I downloaded the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service Earlier today and I have just rebooted to enable it and I have not had the tones since but it is only 15 mins ago. I will keep my fingers crossed.

woodchip
I did download the mobo drivers but they may need an update. They are dated June 2004

Thank you all for your interest, I will inform you on this post if the soution works.

wetterfugal © 19:23 24 Jul 05

The tones are still there and I have given up. I can't understand how a tone can be played by the PC after I have diabled all sounds and searched for all *.wav files.

I record streaming audio and unfortunately they are all accompanied by these 'event' tones.

Thanks anyway for your trouble.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…