Mysterious Dialer

cylon 17:44 29 Jan 04

I have recently connected two PCs together over a LAN. The PC connected via the LAN is continually dialing up my ISP. This is a bit of a pain.

Can anyone help with tracking down which service or program it is ?

I remember an item in the magazine about something similair, I think it was to do with the machine trying to authorise a user, but can't find the article.

Big Elf 18:27 29 Jan 04

Have you run checks to ensure it's not spyware?

cylon 18:46 29 Jan 04

Hi Big Elf

I have run a Spy Bot check on both machines, came up with a few cookies that's all. Anti Virus check was clean as well.

Big Elf 18:57 29 Jan 04

Is anything listed in the running processes in Task Manager on either machine that might give a clue?

cylon 11:45 01 Feb 04

I remember correctly there is a check bok in IE which checks for certificate revocation. If ICSing with automatic dial up then if IE tries to check it will cause a connection. Does this make sense ?

I did have a look on task manager and it did appear the IE was taking up most of the processer time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…