Mysterious arrival of JS2E

Liteman 18:17 16 Jan 06

I've discovered a programme on my machine under the dubious title of "JS2E Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6" and it's taking up 193 very valuable megabites on my hard drive.

Can some enlighten me as to what it is & if I need it OR can I delete it?

PaulB2005 18:20 16 Jan 06

Java - not needed as such but might be required by something.

Control Panel, Add / Remove Programs - to remove it.

keith-236785 21:01 16 Jan 06

i too have just had this update installed. i just let it get on with it as i believe it to be needed for some games/online activities etc. i used to use Microsoft java but its not available now so sun java will do.

if you look in your add/remove list, you may be able to uninstall the older updates to free up some needed space.

you could if you like uninstall the java 2 runtime environment and then the update version6 which you reffered to and see if it makes any difference to your browsing, if it does then re-install it.

ps. my java 6 update is only 119mb big, according to the add/remove info. whilst the original java runtime environment is 106mb big.

Softstag 21:08 16 Jan 06

Microsoft Java is still available; it's just Microsoft don't publish it because they got in to trouble. If you look hard enough on the internet you can still download it. If you need it then email me; I'll find a link to it!

Liteman 21:21 16 Jan 06

Paperman27 you're right, it's only 119Mb. Still not sure where it came from though. from properties it was created on 8th this month. How do I find what else was downloaded/created on that date as , presumably in came in with some other programme. According to add/remove programmes I've never used it.

VoG II 21:37 16 Jan 06

You can't trust Add/Remove programs information click here

interzone55 22:01 16 Jan 06

My Java folder is only 60mb.

It's installed with Open Office as it's required for some features.

The Spires 22:35 16 Jan 06

Java saves files temp files which can build up, you can access the amount it uses in Java in control panel, I have mine on min. Cleaners such as CCleaner can be set to clear Java temp files out when run.

helmetshine 03:55 17 Jan 06

Lightman

Have a look in taskmanager......you'll probably see a process running called jusched.exe.....thats the java auto updater..... thats where the update came from came from.

keith-236785 15:51 17 Jan 06

thanks alan14, i have moved up to Open Office recently so that could explain it, though im sure it was installed before i changed. but never mind.

my java folder (C:\Program Files\Java is 90.4MB) so i dont know what extras i have got that you havent unless its the old updates. i might uninstall it and see what happens.

Softstag, i also have msjavx86 saved for a rainy day but my system is stable with sun java so i dont see a reason to change, thanks anyway

as for it coming with other progs etc, i think you can be safe to say it is from a trusted source and wont have a payload, my trojan checker/anti virus has not reported anything anyway.

Stuartli 16:19 17 Jan 06

An explanation of Java can be found here:

click here

I always keep it fully updated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…