My XP System keeps locking up spontaniously

adam.dawes 15:06 09 Aug 04

I am running my home computer with windows xp profesional an Athlon XP 2000+ processor, 80gb hard drive, 10gb hard drive, 512 mbRam, Gainford Geforece FX 5600 with 128mb ram.
I have been suffering from this problem for a longtime and cannot seem to solve it i have added a new case fan to my system, trashed the hard drive and rebuilt the system from scratch. All of these things i have done havent seem to stop the system locking randomly or while i am trying to play a game which is even worse. When the system locks it seems like it has got stuck. Anyone with any advise at all please help asap cuz this is doing my head right in. Thank You

woodchip 15:26 09 Aug 04

Have you tried the latest Graphics card Drivers

woodchip 15:30 09 Aug 04

Have a Look hear click here

adam.dawes 15:46 09 Aug 04

I have already updated the graphics drivers, the problem used to occur also when i had my old NVIDIA TNT 2 32mb graphics chip, cheers anyway tho.

adam.dawes 15:47 09 Aug 04

I have already updated the graphics drivers, the problem used to occur also when i had my old NVIDIA TNT 2 32mb graphics chip, cheers anyway tho.

adam.dawes 15:53 18 Aug 04

Anyone else with any help ????

cream. 16:04 18 Aug 04

You do not say what motherboard you have.

Try this to determine if there is a fault from the power/ heat side. Drop the fsb of your x\p2000+ from 133Mhz to 100Mhz. See if the system locks up now.

If it still does then revert back to the 133Mhz, if it is stable then post back.

adam.dawes 17:09 21 Aug 04

The system is stable once the fsb is dropped to 100mhz any help cheerz?

cream. 19:39 21 Aug 04

Well that's a little bit of good news.

What it may be

1) poor connection between the heatsink and fan and the cpu. You could strip it down and apply new paste.

2) The psu not suppling enough power.

3) the air flow in the machine is poor. You could take the sides off and point a fan into the tower, reset the fsb to 133 and see if it locks. If it does not lock then that may indicate it is either the airflow or the contacts between the cpu and heatsink.

adam.dawes 12:40 23 Aug 04

I have remove the side and this seems to stop the system hanging as much but it still hangs on occations. I thought that adding a new fan would stop this problem but it does not. cheers.

adam.dawes 12:41 23 Aug 04

is there a way i can increse the power output of my psu??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…