Is my work ADSL line private?

dalglish 19:06 04 May 05

Hi all,

I have two ADSL lines, one paid for by work, the other a Freedom 2 Serve line.
I am thinking about disconnecting the F2S line and using the bandwidth from my work line which I have been told is OK by work.
I have a web hosting package with an-other company together with an email account so disconnecting my F2S line should not leave me email-less.

I have a dedicated laptop for work which requires me to log into the company intranet and also a personal laptop which I would just use for personal, private surfing etc.

What I would like to know is how much could the tekkies at work see my surfing history if I used the company's ADSL?

Thanks
Steve

Technotiger 19:13 04 May 05

Hi, if you are talking about can they see whats on your personal laptop - I would think the answer would be - nothing, unless they hack into your personal laptop. But not just through your ADSL linkup.

If I am wrong I am quite sure someone here will soon come on and say so.

Cheers.

dalglish 20:24 07 May 05

thanks Technotiger that is reassuring
steve

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:43 07 May 05

If you are conncting to the net by the works server then every site you go to is logged on the server.

My works server prevents access to certain sites, the obvious ones and also sites like drivedownload and driverguide

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:49 07 May 05

However if you are connecting by a normal ISP using a "secure token" to connect to your works LAN.
Then the sites visited are only saved on your laptop.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:34 07 May 05

Irrespective of what Technotiger has written, if you connect through the company ADSL, the IT guys will log EVERY single site that you visit....so lay off the pR0n. ;-))))

G

dalglish 21:08 08 May 05

thanks to all - I'll prob keep the F2S account active after all given the privacy risks!
Have a good week
steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…