My windows XP slows to shut down

barnettgs 16:26 05 Aug 03

I know there's nothing wrong with it and my pc is intel p4 2.53Ghz with 256mb pc2700 ram.

While compared to my friend's AMD XP 2400, his windows xp shut down much quicker.

Why is that? My harddrive is 123Gb, 7200rpm (180 Deskstar) which is fast on online reviews i was reading earlier. Bearing in mind, mine is new system with window XP installed freshly.

barnettgs 22:35 05 Aug 03

Does anyone have this kind of slow shut down with Windows XP?

VoG II 22:37 05 Aug 03

click here and scroll down to SHUTDOWN WORKS, BUT IT?S REAL SLOW

stlucia 08:43 06 Aug 03

Doesn't the speed of shutdown depend on how many applications you have running -- either open or in the background -- at the time? E.g. firewall, virus scanner, MS Outlook, etc.

Jester2K II 08:48 06 Aug 03

How long does it take.

If you are ok with the registry check the value of this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\ Memory Management

Look for

ClearPageFileAtShutdown

Value should be 0.

barnettgs 15:32 06 Aug 03

It has been like this since new install of windows XP along with new PC so other programs are ruled out...

And yes, the value is 0 at Memory Management

Also I have visited a link above and has found one but it doesn't made a difference.

Windows XP is running fast as well as programs but shutting down is a bit slow. I guess thats natural then?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…