my windows xp desktop has frozen

carnoustiejim 22:50 06 May 14

I have windows7 and xp installed on my pc been okay for a long time I've just switched over to my xp and the desktop has frozen I cant access my folders etc. can you help thanks kirriejim

bumpkin 23:18 06 May 14

system restore in safe mode would be my first attempt.

OCRIDION 12:13 07 May 14

Safe mode would be my first option, if it starts up in safe mode then look through whats starting with your computer and spot anything strange or unrecognised to you.

Bring it up here, if your not sure. I would usually steer away from System Restore as it only partially restores sections of your operating system and thus break references all over the shop. Thats only if your restore back past a lot of configuration/ installaton chages though mainly. So, you can give it try.

Places to check for start up checking:

• Start -> All programs -> Start up
  • Start -> Run -> 'msconfig' -> Services tab
  • Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Schedules Tasks -> Any tasks marked as start on computer start up
  • Start -> Run -> Regedit -> HKeyLocalMachine -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Run
  • Start -> Run -> Regedit -> HKeyCurrentUser -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Run

If nothing seems out of the ordinary with start up, and your system restore makes no change, try disabling or removing any security software you may have running (you can use Safe Mode to do this).

You can try to make sure all your Operating System Files are in order Go to Start -> Run -> sfc /scannow

You may also try doing a Hard Drive Check. Go to My Computer -> Right Click your OS's Drive -> Properties -> Tools tab -> Error Checking -> Check Button (You may tell it to Check on next start up, then restart). [This may be done from WIndows XP Safe Mode OR Windows 7].

If that fails, then nuke it.

thanks, Andy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac