My win98SE system hangs on bootup with black scrn

Garfield 20:34 31 Oct 04

My win98SE system hangs on bootup with black screen. Can any one help? The problem is intermitent, and after powering off normally it restarts, scans and bootup Ok.

I estimate 1 in 3 bootups it freezes and needs powering off (CTL ALT DEL do not work when it freezes).

The System is on broadband, running trend AV 2003, with Spybot, Spyware blaster Adaware all SW incl windows has all updates they offer. Also have Sygate Personal Fire wall running.

I have looked at bootlog.txt but dont know what I'm lloking for!

woodchip 20:53 31 Oct 04

It may be a Driver, or Memory. If it's in DOS then it more than likely is a Driver. the best way is to go to Run in Windows if you can get in and type MSCONFIG go to the startup tab and remove all tick from box's but leave System Tray and Explorer if you see it. Do not go on line like this. keep testing restart's by putting one tick at a time back, and restart until you find the problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…