My website & FrontPage

I know how to build toy castles coz I've being doing it for years in my shed ( {;o) )... but when I decided I ought to try a website on which to show them I thought - YOWSER - here's a challenge!

I bought a domain and hosted it with easily.co.uk last year.

I've had MS-OFFICE 2000 for a couple of years, (wearing a groove in the WORD segment but little else) !! Anyway, I thought I'd give the FrontPage program a shot.

I bought a book 'FP Step by Step' and waded in.

I've completed the site now, except for the actual toy castle photos, and will fill in the gaps in a month or two.

I realise that I'm a complete novice when it comes to web design, and that there are people out there who can add all the bells, whistles and gizmos to make a site really sit up and breathe, but I just want a presence on the web, and not the flashiest site in the UK.

I would have liked to have the 'order form' available in a nicer format, but I found it simpler to use a text file.

Anyway, please take a look ( allowing for the fact that there are no models to be seen yet ) and let me know what you think.

The URL is : click here

Thanks, Crossbow

Forum Editor 20:02 29 May 03

I can see you have put in a lot of hard work, and what a fascinating subject!

You have one of the key ingredients of a successful web site straight away - an interesting subject.

You might consider the following suggestions; they are just that - suggestions - so please don't be in any way discouraged, you've made a nice job of your first site.

1. Kill the hit counter? I have a personal aversion to them I admit. I can't see what useful purpose they serve. You can get statistics from your host, and they'll be far more detailed than just a tally of hits. Nothing brands a site as "amateur" more than a hit counter.

2. Use a smaller font size for body text - say 8 point - in conjunction with the next point.....

3. Lay out the content in tables with columns. Look at the way a newspaper page is laid out, or take a look at the BBC news site
click here

The look of your site would be improved dramatically, given this treatment. You can scatter small images in separate table cells, and with a bit of experimenting you'll see how you could make the site easier to read - without having to scroll the pages into the bargain.

4. Justify text left, rather than centre, in the table cells - it looks very much more professional.

5. The blue background is a tad bright in my opinion, although this is very much a personal thing. I like white backgrounds as a rule, with the colour coming from images - lots of them.

Finally - don't link to pages that have no content. Nothing is more of a let down than clicking on a link to a picture page, only to see no pictures. It's better to have a little box saying "Coming soon - and then an announcement about the other pages. Leave the pages unlinked until you've filled them.

As I said earlier - your site is just fine as it is, but with a little tweak here and there I think it could have real impact - I wish you luck with it, and if you want help with the order form let me know.

User-312386 21:26 29 May 03

What a great site

I would also put everything in a layer, so when people view the page say in 800x600 the text does not become all scrunched up

i will give you an example

my web site is click here

Now make the explorer windows smaller and you will see the text does not move, you will then see at the bottom a bar so that people can move the frame along to see the text.

Now if you open your site and do the same thing all the text goes all over the place

I think that your site is brilliant, please don't take the above as offence only some constructive criticism.

madboy33

Thanks very much to Forum Editor and Madboy33 for your comments and pointers regarding my website. I will play around with the suggestions you have made and see what the results look like.

It's taken me quite some time to get to this stage and I thought it might be a good idea to get a bit of external opinion.

{:o))

User-312386 23:23 29 May 03

you are doing fantastic

keep up the brilliant work

fitshase 11:08 04 Jun 03

On the introduction page, at the bottom you say,

"You will find several leading toy soldier manufacturers featured on the LINKS page."

The word "LINKS" is in capital letters and highlighted in white. I am assuming that this is meant to be a hyperlink to the LINKS page? However, there is no hyperlink attached to it and clicking it does nothing.

Other than that I would tend to agree with the FE's comments, especially on the background colour and text size.

One word of caution though, make sure that you have permission to show the photos you are displaying on your website (either using your own photos or gaining the permission of the copyright holder). Also, a copyright notice - something along the lines of "(C) Copyright 2003 Redfort" at the bottom of each page to protect your own work.

Keep up the good work though and your site can only get better.

Regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…