My Website, early stages, intial thoughts please

powerless 22:04 06 Sep 03

Before you click on the link that you will come across in this message i would just like to say that you will probably notice that the "site" seems unfinished. Well that is because it is...

There maybe spelling errors, and a few unfinished pages but the point of posting this was just to get initial thoughts...

I've gone for a simple layout (i'm just learing this webpage buisness) so don't expect to much but I think the simplicity of it works in its favour...

The actual name of the site i have not decided yet but if you look closely you'll see one idea of a name i've had.

Also there is mean't to be a banner at the top but i removed it...There will be one there eventually.

Enought of me and i'll let it speak for itself...

click here

(some of you may notice the URL as being another forum members webspace. That is because it is as I'm having a little trouble with my own - Thanks to tony for the sapce!)

Forum Editor 23:50 06 Sep 03

and I can see that you've worked hard.

There are obviously improvements that can be made, and here are a few comments to be going on with:-

1. Your site would look far better laid out in tables - thay are the web designer's friend, and will allow you to improve the look and the readability of the text. At the moment the pages are confusing, and tiring on the eye.

2. You've mixed the font styles too much - stick to a plain bold header and one font type and size for the body text - and apply it throughout the site. I dislike italics on the Internet, they don't help the readability and serve no real purpose.

3. As you have suggested, the text could do with some serious editing, and if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, ask someone who is able to write concisely and grammatically - you'll be amazed at the difference it can make.

4. I like the screenshots - they help enormously on this type of site - but again they need to be in a table. Place the images in a column on the left and the text in a clumn alongside. The table cells will take care of alignment, and will transform the page's appearance.

Experiment with tables - they aren't difficult to handle with a bit of practice, and you'll be rewarded with a massive improvement in the appearance of your site.

PªūĽ ? ♂ 01:16 07 Sep 03

It looks great but it hurts my eyes, Maybe I am getting old or maybe I should go to see an optician but If it were my site I would change the White background, Not to anything bright or dark maybe just a very light grey, Say for instance the grey in the column to the left of this comment, Where you can find the latest threads etc, Great work Powerless, Its a great site. And please feel free to ignore me. :)

powerless 02:33 07 Sep 03

Now the problem here is i thought my site was laid out in tables. For example when i right click on the page i can see "Table Properties" so unless i'm mssing something, i am using tables.

Font styles will be cleaned up.

The images on the left and the text to right is what i initally had but found it easier as it is now.

I'll see what colours i can mix in the paint pot and have a little experiment.

I cannot ignore you paul as i'll need even more help with Linux to which i've tried to configure that XF86 file from your instructions. (see email in a bit)

User-312386 09:35 07 Sep 03

to insert a frame/layer

click on insert then click on layer

a new frame will be added to front page and then you can move/resize to how you wish

You can tell there are no frames, because if you resize the page the text/images go all over the place

User-312386 09:40 07 Sep 03

i have just changed Powerless's Home page to show him how to put the text in a frame, although as you will note i have not put the Hyperlinks in a frame

powerless 10:02 07 Sep 03

There is no LAYER on the insert menu?

Nellie2 17:46 07 Sep 03

Well while you are fiddling with your site I just thought I would say that I look forward to seeing the finished article........ It has bags and bags of potential. Well done. :) 19:05 07 Sep 03

will be better when you get your title on page. Well done. Good luck, Whiz...

Forum Editor 19:56 07 Sep 03

I can indeed see tables, but they need some work.

You need a Banner, with the name of the site, so that it doesn't look quite so much as if someone's just uploaded a word doc.

A navigation panel on the left, with buttons, would improve things as well, and an image or two will make the pages a tad more attractive.

The page layouts will look better if you experiment with the tables - split the cells into columns and see how things look when they aren't spread right across the screen. Examine a magazine carefully, and see how the layout breaks the page into easily-read chunks. That's the kind of thing you're aiming for - so the reader isn't intimidated by great slabs of text.

Gaz 25 23:58 09 Sep 03

Great site on Windows anyway!

But read the info from the experts above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…