My website

dave_the_red 00:44 12 Dec 06

I dont know if this is appropriate or not as my site is going to be a pc help and advice site (once i have some members that is :P) so if it is not appropriate to post the link here then could you please delete this F.E. and i apologise if it is not.

Basically i would just like opinions on the site itself and any tips on how to entice people to sign up.

Url is click here

Thanks

Dave

dave_the_red 21:28 12 Dec 06

I undertstand most of your points and i agree with most of them to be honest. The one i tend to take issue with is that you say you would never use a site like mine implying that it is not to be trusted as i am not known. The only problem i have with that is that how do you know that people that give advice on this site are to be trusted either?

I am sure the F.E. does not vet everyone to make sure that they are experts in the field they are helping in, people just give advise as they see fit.

But yes i can see most of your points and will take a look at them.

Thanks for your input

Dave

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:28 12 Dec 06

of these sites out there, but only the best few get major recognition.
Sorry to sound harsh, but I would suggest that if you want a successful website, use your skills building one on a less hackneyed subject.

dave_the_red 11:52 13 Dec 06

I would do that except this is what i am interested in so surely doing one on something i am not would not be a good idea too? I know where you are coming from though with this.

kinger 18:03 15 Dec 06

I know of huge organisations that build groups or community forums only to find that hardly anyone visits them.

It's very difficult to get people to stay in one place or even go back to the same site as there is so much going on on the Internet.

The only way I have found successful is by having a membership OFFLINE in the real world and then introducing an online club exclusive to them but only with extremely USEFUL

kinger 18:11 15 Dec 06

information on it that they HAVE to visit your site to get.

kinger 18:18 15 Dec 06

To generate visitors to your site is a long process but patience often pays off.

Firstly, you have to show that you are an expert in your field.

Maybe write some articles and post them to article directories and forums. Ensure that your name and web site URL is mentioned on them, that way everyone that reads them will follow the link if they’re interested in your subject.

Have a name capture page as your entry point. Collect the visitors email address and first name.

Once you have a number of people on your list, send them regular emails all about your subject ... keep it interesting. Direct them to your site each email but ensure that there is something interesting for them to read or do there.

You may have trouble getting people to leave their email address with you, so ensure you give them some kind of incentive to join your emailing list.

I do this with a subject that I’m involved with and it works very well. My list is growing week by week.

When I find a forum site I expect and look for the replies column. If every problem posted has a good sprinkling of replies then I know that there's a good chance of a solution.

If you offer some posts yourself based on your past problems and solutions then you can have a starter set to give people confidence and it may grow from there.

People will always gravitate to a few sites. This one is one of mine. Dot net's OK but a few more time wasters there.

Forum Editor 18:34 22 Dec 06

and of course there's nothing like seeing your work on the web, especially when people visit. Unfortunately you've chosen to enter what is already a very crowded market - there are literally thousands of PC help sites out there. The vast majority never really get off the ground, simply because they don't have enough traffic; there's nothing to attract people to a site that plainly has very few visitors, and nothing much in the way of content.

Tha answer is to try to find something unique - some feature that nobody else has on their site. Properly written articles on aspects of computing can help, as can in-depth tutorials, but those things take time and skill to put together.

Unless you're a real computing expert, preferably with an area of speciality, I would frankly advise you to consider something else.

Gaz 25 17:08 30 Dec 06

I run a website similar to yours. I'm currently redesigning and relaunching in 2007.

It did not have a forum, but to this day the old website is getting over 20 hits a day, even with old content.

People clicked the adverts and I made a fair amount of money from just letting it lie there.

It's a crowded market, thats for sure.

I have a few ideas for my website, that is not just to offer basic PC advice - but to give advice to newbies and experts.. about everything from setting up a home network, to setting up a cisco switch...

Furthermore, selecting the right gear - the pro's and cons of selecting cheaper gear, etc.

Discussions that will focus on many common issues.

There are several guides about removing viruses, but a lot are not full and in-depth. Some just there to flog AV software for advertisers.

I promote NOD32 free, because I trust the solution - it's worked for me. So I will add a free link to them.

My content may not be as trusted in the industry as some other well known writers, but running both a PC company and several other ventures I have my name recognised particulary in my area as a 'qualilty enegineer'

I also have my own blog, and further more are both qualified in CompTIA and Cisco CCNA.

This all has helped my website in the past.

The idea behind the new redesign is to have it more Open Source and database driven for example. Furthermore I'll be selling advert space.

Hopefully, even if it generates what it did before. For a good time before it stopped being updated I got pretty much page 3 on google for: free pc help

Gaz 25 17:08 30 Dec 06

I run a website similar to yours. I'm currently redesigning and relaunching in 2007.

It did not have a forum, but to this day the old website is getting over 20 hits a day, even with old content.

People clicked the adverts and I made a fair amount of money from just letting it lie there.

It's a crowded market, thats for sure.

I have a few ideas for my website, that is not just to offer basic PC advice - but to give advice to newbies and experts.. about everything from setting up a home network, to setting up a cisco switch...

Furthermore, selecting the right gear - the pro's and cons of selecting cheaper gear, etc.

Discussions that will focus on many common issues.

There are several guides about removing viruses, but a lot are not full and in-depth. Some just there to flog AV software for advertisers.

I promote NOD32 free, because I trust the solution - it's worked for me. So I will add a free link to them.

My content may not be as trusted in the industry as some other well known writers, but running both a PC company and several other ventures I have my name recognised particulary in my area as a 'qualilty enegineer'

I also have my own blog, and further more are both qualified in CompTIA and Cisco CCNA.

This all has helped my website in the past.

The idea behind the new redesign is to have it more Open Source and database driven for example. Furthermore I'll be selling advert space.

Hopefully, even if it generates what it did before. For a good time before it stopped being updated I got pretty much page 3 on google for: free pc help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…