My two CD/DVD ROM drives are not working!

uchkeken 11:11 07 Jul 06

I have 2 devices, one internal and one external, connected to my PC. One is a DVD RW device the other [external] a CD RW device, both I believe are IDE devices.
5 days ago my PC refuses to recognise them. In Device Manager there is a yellow sign next to each device.
I have tried to Disable and Uninstall each device but when I reboot, there they are in Device Manager with their accompanying yellow sign!
Any ideas how I can remove them and reinstall them so that they work?
On reboot, I am running XP Professional, a screen appears saying 'detecting IDE devices' then the next screen says that 2 devices [the drives above] are not detected.
Help please if you are able?

rawprawn 11:41 07 Jul 06

Check the connections on your IDE cable supplying your devices

uchkeken 14:16 07 Jul 06

Thanks for that.
When I unplug them they disappear from Device Manager only to reappear, with the accompanying yellow sign, when I connect them again.
Anymore ideas?
Thanks again,
Jeff.

jimv7 14:18 07 Jul 06

Try this click here

Stuartli 14:19 07 Jul 06

Try uninstalling both from Device Manager and rebooting.

Windows should Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM drivers (all that is required other than the burning software).

rawprawn 15:07 07 Jul 06

Can you borrow another IDE cable and try that?

uchkeken 15:17 07 Jul 06

Many thanks to those people who replied above.
Autoplay Repair Wizard will not run on my PC [for obvious reasons that I will not mention here:-)].

I have uninstalled from Device Manager a few times but they both reappear on reboot, with the yellow signs still present in Device Manager.

I COULD borrow another IDE cable but I believe that my problem is a software problem and is not connected with any of my hardware.
My DVD RW [internal] is nearly new and my CD RW [external] is only 12 months old.

Thanks yet again.

Any more ideas please?

uchkeken 15:30 07 Jul 06

I have managed to download the Autoplay Repair Wizard from a non-Microsoft site but it will not run as my 2 drives do not appear in the wizard.
It opens but only lists my internal and external hard drives plus my floppy drive, no mention of my CR drives.

Properties of my 2 devices within Device Manager displays this:
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

I am NOT computer-literate enough to delve into the Registry without PRECISE instructions from someone who is:-))))))))))

Any help please?

rawprawn 16:00 07 Jul 06

This may be worth checking click here

uchkeken 16:59 07 Jul 06

Thanks but before I try the possible solution what is an I/O device error?
I am receiving NO error messages my computer simply ignores their existence!
I am unable to communicate with either of the devices.

woodchip 17:09 07 Jul 06

I take it you don't Have a genuine XP CD to repair from! I am wrong Sorry. But you being a bit secretive so how can we help if our hand are tied

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos