is my tomtom 700 about to die

sunnystaines 15:57 29 Sep 10

if it goes more that a few days without use the battery goes flat and i have to do a forced boot[holding the on button in to force it to start].

then works ok but battery slow to re charge as well.

compumac 16:10 29 Sep 10

I have a 710 which had the same problem and I looked at replacing the battery but you need the smallest of fingers to do this eventually it turned out that it was the board within the Tomtom. Cost me £50 to have it repaired.It is now lying in a cupboard as I had, in the meantime, bought a 740 Live.

woodchip 16:17 29 Sep 10

I have the TT1 it goes flat as I do not use it enough. and only short life on battery, always as been but after plugging in its not long before it starts charging, but will not work until turned off a couple of times

keef66 15:51 30 Sep 10

My TomTom1 battery doesn't last long out of the car any more, and invariably goes completely flat when it isn't used for a few days. Initially it was great for navigating a city on foot; now it's restricted to in-car navigation.

No idea if it's a battery fault or something else. Can't be bothered to investigate.

sunnystaines 16:56 30 Sep 10

is it built into the electrics to fail after a certain time?

anchor 09:09 01 Oct 10

The model 700 is about 5 years old; I used to have one. The battery is larger than those fitted on the recent slimline models, and had quite a good battery life.

However, all rechargeable batteries do lose the ability to attain a full charge after a time, and it sounds this is most likely the case with yours.

To have a replacement battery fitted professionally might cost about £25, (which is what I paid in August to have one fitted in my model 920).

Alternatively, you might decide to put this towards buying a new model, which will come with the latest maps, and a more sensitive receiver.

sunnystaines 10:33 01 Oct 10

not sure if to replace or use the satnav on the smartphone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced