Is my soundcard broke

reddwarfcrew 23:21 11 Apr 03

Hi,

when I play something thru the line in on my soundcard, I only get the left channel. The right channel is silent.

I have checked the balance on the sound controls and its set to centre, if I move it to the right, then I get silence.

Does it sound like the line in on the sound card is bust.

The source provides both left and right when I connect it to my normal amp.

eccomputers 23:35 11 Apr 03

sounds like a contact problem in the socket.
Have you tried moving the balance to the silent side and wriggling/twisting the plug in the socket?

reddwarfcrew 09:18 12 Apr 03

Yep, tried both, but no joy.

meatlaff2 14:33 12 Apr 03

Hi Red
I've just spent a week trying to sort sis in laws sound card. Your cheapest option is to borrow a pair of speakers from a mate and try them. If same thing happens. Go to start/settings/system/device manager. Then look in sound devices. If there is a yellow ! exclamation mark it means ur sound card isnt working properly. Uninstall then re insatall. It sometimes works. OR! disconnect comp from mains, take cover off, earth yourself, take soundcrd out, give it a wipe with electronic swith spray then re seat the card back onto m/board and try again. However having said all that, I've never heard of a soundcard failing on 1 channel. good luck!

reddwarfcrew 15:03 12 Apr 03

Its not the speakers as normal music playback is fine.

Everything is okay in device manager and i've updated drivers etc.

Its actually my Dad's PC and taking the card out and re-seating it was my next job when I go around there.

I've actually ordered a new S/C for him as a new Soundblaster 4.1 is less than £15 OEM.

If the new card don't work, then I am completely confused!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…