My son bypassed my password!

Lavenham 21:27 01 Nov 07

How did my son bypass my xp password, and then make an administrator account? He said it was easy but would not let on how he did it. He did not have my password. I need to show him he is not so computer savvy as he thinks he is. Up until now I have been well ahead please help to keep me there. How can I prevent him doing this again?

VoG II 21:28 01 Nov 07

Possibly like this click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:47 01 Nov 07

Reset password for Windows XP by hitting f8 at bootup, select safe mode, at logon, go to the admin account, hit enter, and the password is now reset.

or

Just press and hold "Ctrl" and "Alt" and press "Delete" twice while the Welcome Screen is displayed.

Type in "Administrator" as the username, and leave the password field blank

You will not believe now many times I have managed to get into someone's computer this way when they said they can't remember their password.

If you create a password for the built-in administrator account, these wont work!!

Lavenham 23:22 01 Nov 07

I have tried those however he did not change my password or delete it, so which do you think he used?

brundle 23:24 01 Nov 07

He didn't need your password if he used the method described above

Lavenham 23:33 01 Nov 07

Thanks, to all, I will make sure there is an administrator account set up permanently then he will have to ask nicely to use my computer. I can hold my head up high again.

The F1 Help Key 05:17 04 Nov 07

that simple using cmd and type net user and then type net user yourusername *

press enter it will prompt u to enter the password again...sooo simple..search it on youtube they have video explanation.

Longhouse 12:11 04 Nov 07

Would it not be possible to prevent access to the PC by using the BIOS password settings? If so, then I believe only a reset of the BIOS to factory defaults by using the MoBO reset contacts would clear the password and allow access.
I used this method in the past to prevent unauthorised use of my home business machine. Now I just use a withdrawable HDD bay and turn the bay off, or remove it to prevent access.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:18 04 Nov 07

(this boot floppy also acts as a rescue disk if these files fail on your HDD)

1. Set to boot from CD or floppy as first boot device

2. Burn boot files to a password protected CD or floppy
First format a Floppy disc
Run type
Format A: /u
Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting your computer with the floppy disc

3. Remove the boot files from the hard drive,( so will nolonger boot from HDD even if reconfigured in BIOS.
If booting from HDD will come up with error message NTLDR missing or corrupt.

4. Hide CD / floppy (but do not lose).

Next time He switches the PC on he'll think he's broken it.

Lavenham 00:03 05 Nov 07

Thanks everyone that should keep me on top of things. I like the removal of boot files, that should make him think!
T

lotvic 00:18 05 Nov 07

Oh, that's wicked :)
I like it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant