My site is just a hobby

james55 23:47 08 Nov 03

I have retired early and decided to buy a digital camera. I also decided to climb up a few hills and visit some places of interest. I would like a few opinions on my site click here

barryoneoff.co.uk 01:41 09 Nov 03

I dont feel that I am really qualified enough to criticise, but I never ventured past the opening page. It has a great deal of space taken up by a banner ad for the site I am already at, and seems to be trying to cram everything else on to one page, too busy.

Please don't get me wrong. If you had seen some of my early efforts, they made yours look bland, but it seems that you are trying to fit everything into the opening page. You don't need a third of the window to tell visitors what site they are on.

As I learned, mainly through this forum, 'Less is more'.
Good luck, Whiz...

Patr100 01:47 09 Nov 03

Like the owls.
One thing I would suggest is if possible, have the same colour page background on the large photos as on the thumbnail galleries- rather than black. It helps to keep unity and continuity.

Forum Editor 09:14 09 Nov 03

often made by first time web designers is to become infected with what I call the "because I can" syndrome. This results in every page having a different coloured background, different fonts and font sizes galore, animated gifs all over the place, and so on.

The result is that a visitor feels overwhelmed with colour and movement, and is distracted from seeing the content.

When designing a web site try to imagine your audience - people from different areas (countries even), of different sex and age and with differing tastes and levels of computing ability. You must try to please them all, and this means you have to pay attention to some key areas:

1. Navigation - make sure it's clear, easy to understand, and that it's repeated on every page. Don't just offer a "home" button on your lower-level pages, repeat the full navigation set. Your visitors may not want to have to go back to the home page each time they want a new page.

2. Uniformity of font and point sizes - generally speaking, new designers tend to go for a point size that's too big. This is often because they don't have much content to fill a page, and a small font size makes their content look lost on the page. In these circumstances go for a smaller point size, but add images to the page, and break up your text into small boxes.

3. Haphazard layout - Content is added to the page much as it would be in a Word document, and it ends up looking like one. Use tables - the web designers best friend, bar none. With tables you can vary the layout almost infinitely, while still retaining a well-ordered, neat appearance.

4. Backgrounds - each page should have the same background, and this rule should never, ever, be varied. Nothing makes a site look 'choppy' and amateurish more than a different colour or pattern on each page. I personally prefer a white background above anything else - it's the best colour against which to read text and view images.

5. Stillness - there's hardly ever a justification for animated gifs in my opinion, but if you must have movement restrict it to the home page. I particularly dislike waving flags.

There you are - you asked for opinions, and you have a few. Your site has potential - the subject matter is interesting, and with a good deal of work you could turn it into a stunning testament to the beauty of the British isles. make sure that your visitors know what they've landed on by the way - your homepage has no introduction to set the scene.

james55 16:58 10 Nov 03

Thanks to all for your opinions and will try and change accordingly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…