is my security software lacking?

Hetti 13:25 10 Oct 07

I was browsing the internet when IE closed and I had a message
"your computer is running slow, maybe due to a virus on your PC download this software for a FREE scan"
I tried to close the page by clicking on the X at the top of the page but it tried to take me to the address neverthless I dont know the page address as I closed it before it fully loaded.
I have AVG 7.5, Comodo and C Cleaner as well as win defender. I thought I was protected but maybe Im missing something?
Win XP
IE6

wee eddie 13:37 10 Oct 07

I use Spybot S&D, Adaware & SuperAntiSpyware.

What you have there is something that one, if not all, of these should be able to deal with.

Clapton is God 13:42 10 Oct 07

wee eddie's suggestions are good.

Please note, however, that CCleaner is a PC/registry cleaner NOT protection software

spyware blaster should block most of the pop up nasties, it doesnt run in real time, so doesnt use any resources, just update and apply all protection once a week or so.click here

Hetti 13:55 10 Oct 07

Thanks Guy

I downloaded one of the above (hope that is enough trying to keep downloads to a minimum) but if I need more than one please let me know and Ill get another one/two?

johndrew 13:56 10 Oct 07

WinPatrol click here will also provide a warning if something is being changed and will allow you to block it if you are unsure.

I also run Spyware Terminator click here which prevents interference. It compliments SpywareBlaster click here which will run alongside without conflict with it or Defender.

birdface 14:48 10 Oct 07

Looks as though you are Infected by one of those programs that offer a free scan ,And then you have to pay to get rid of it.It will probably come on every time you boot up your computer.Don,t pay.Have you any idea what the name of the free software was.

birdface 15:04 10 Oct 07

If you keep getting the same problem wee eddies suggestion Of SuperAntiSpyware is well worth a try. click here and johndrews suggestion of WinPatrol Is another to have on your computer,Although it will not clear the problem that you have just now,it may prevent anything like that happening again.It only puts a small Icon on your quick start and will warn you if anything tries to invade your computer.

Hetti 15:22 10 Oct 07

I tried rebooting PC to see if I would get the message again, it has been OK up two now (fingers crossed)
I dont know what the name of the free software was, hope I don't get the oppertunity to see it again lol) downloaded AVG spyware and Spywareblaster found 4 tracking cookies medium risk i have deleted them, hope it go's OK next time I boot up.

Thanks for all the sound advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…