My Router, or the new Laptop?

AngeTheHippy 20:54 PM 08 Apr 13
Answered

Evening Chaps, I took delivery of a new Acer Laptop last week. I like it, it's windows 8, which is taking a bit of getting used to.

I've used Acer's free tech online chat twice now as it keeps dropping the internet connection. I have another laptop using the same connection, the other lappy doesn't drop connection but this on I've noticed it drop 7 times in the past 6 hours - could be more, but haven't been using it the whole of the 6 hours. It's offline for no more than c.20 seconds then reconnects. What should I do about this?

onthelimit1 22:37 PM 08 Apr 13
Answer

What sort of signal strength is showing? Just wondering if one of the two antenna cables to the WiFi card is disconnected.

AngeTheHippy 09:46 AM 09 Apr 13

Morning onthelimit1, thanks for replying. Here's a surprise! I used the online tech chat yesterday night. The FIRST THING that was said, after I typed the problem was...I see you have McAfee suite installed - well yes, it's the free 60-day trial which I was gonna allow to run it's course then install Avast free which I've got on various other IT in the house. We uninstalled it, installed Avast and... WELL! NO COMPARISON!! It's faster, by quite a bit, it HASN'T dropped WiFi since, and I think he had it spot on. McAfee the culprit! Question is, IF this s/w is such a problem, WHY do people use it??

Thanks.

Ange x

onthelimit1 10:22 AM 09 Apr 13

Glad it's sorted. Have had problems with McAfee slowing computers down, but not thw internet problem.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…