My Raid has gone "Off Line"

fr jack 00:00 06 Apr 05

I have been running a stripped raid for about a month until it stopped working, giving me an "off line" warning on startup.
I suspect one of the two WD 10,000rpm raptors has died - any thaughts as I'm unsure of what to do next.
Cheers, Fr Jack

Mr Mistoffelees 10:33 06 Apr 05

Check the sata cable connections first as this is most likely to be where your problem lies. Standard sata cables do not connect very firmly and readily come adrift so I suggest, based on my experience and that of others click here , that you try Western Digital Secure Connect cables. I have been using these cables for almost a year and have had no disconnection problems since. P.S. I used to be Mister Splendid.

fr jack 17:35 06 Apr 05

Mr Mistoffelees, I did replace the cables and had no better result. I think what I really need to know is how to find out - if it's a dead drive - which one is it or is it the controller? The raid chip (promise) is part of the motherboard and I would suspect that if I'm getting the warning on start up that the controller is good, but I can only suspect, being limited in experience.
Thanks again for the reply!

dawnyworld 20:36 06 Apr 05

goto wd website and download there test programme
put this on a floppy start machine with floppy in and run test

make sure machine is set to boot from floppy in the bios

fr jack 21:55 06 Apr 05

Will do! Cheers

fr jack 18:57 07 Apr 05

Did it and it turns out the drives are ok but I'm back at the start of the problem - my machine goes into a loop of rebooting just after start up, no warning just straight into boot.
I did rebuild the array and deleted it, doesn't seem to make any difference.........any ideas welcome!
Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…