My problem - HELP!

spgoldy 21:15 24 Feb 08

Hi all,

Sorry if I have interrupted somebody elses thread - but I am really at my wits end!!

I have a speedtouch 585 wireless router and have set my laptop (vista) to connect - no problems.

I want to connect my desktop (XP) to the network. I have a speedtouch 121g which I connect to my desktop via usb.

I have run the AOL setup from the disc and all works well, the drivers etc are installed and all works fine.

Then..... If I shut down my PC or re-start it, the desktop tells me that no adapter is connected and that no network is available, although I know the adapter is working. I've used the windows troubleshooter and this tells me the adapter is ok.

AOL have been worse than useless and I tried to contact speedtouch but it's no good.

Does anybody have any ideas?? I'm a beginner really and just want to get up and running but cannot see the problem.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Best wishes.

Simon.

Ashrich 21:38 24 Feb 08

Are you using the software supplied with the Speedtouch adapter ? Does it have an " always on " setting to connect automatically when the PC is booted ? Have you tried letting Windows XP manage the connection instead ?

Ashley

Ashrich 22:02 24 Feb 08

Looking at the AOL instructions for installing this adapter , I think it might be well advised to try letting Windows manage the connection , you do this by ( and I apologise if you know this already ) going to ...start/settings/network connections , right click on the entry for your adapter , and select " properties " then click on the centre tab ( Wireless Networks ) and tick the box at the top that says something like " Allow Windows to configure my wireless networks " , Ok your way back to the desktop , double click on the single monitor icon on the task bar ( it may have a red cross through it ) , it will then scan for wireless networks , find yours , click on it , and it will ask for the security code ( either WEP or WPA , whichever you set ) and enter it , it will ask for it again so do that as well , then click on " connect " , which hopefully it will do , and it should remember it as well , so it will re-connect on boot up .

Ashley

spgoldy 16:53 26 Feb 08

Will give it a go and let you know.

Thanks very much - I thought that it may be a conflict but didn't know where to start, being a wireless novice!

Ta very muchly.

Simon.

spgoldy 17:20 26 Feb 08

Hi again.

All is ok until I right click on the adpter and click on properties. I don't get the centre tab (wireless networks)or the "allow windows to configure my wireless network".

Any other ideas?

Ta.

spgoldy 17:22 26 Feb 08

Sorry,

In answer to the first reply, I did try to use the Speedtouch own software - but had no joy (still the same problem). I uninstalled this and let AOL instal the drivers from the AOL setup disc.
Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…