Is my privacy at risk?

Staszek 06:49 02 May 05

Following on the my problem given in 'Do I have a virus' I would like this question answered too please. I was told that XP continuesly contacts Microsoft and I dond't like the idea of that. 'Is it true or can I disable the functiot first?
So many questions but I really am grateful for the help. Staszek

Diodorus Siculus 07:58 02 May 05

It all depends on your level of paranoia! As far as I am concerned, MS have no interest in me or my computer - they checked that my copy of XP on my laptop was genuine, they authenticated it and that was that. They probably don't know nor care that I no longer use it.

Anyway, take a look at click here

The xp-AntiSpy is a little utility that lets you disable some built-in update and authentication 'features' in WindowsXP.
For example, there's a service running in the background which is called 'Automatic Updates'. I don't know what this service transfers from my machine to other machines on the internet, especially the MS ones. So I play it safe and disable such functions. If you like, you can even disable these functions manually, by going through the System and checking or unchecking some checkboxes. This will take you approximately half an hour. But why wast time when a little neat utility can do the same in 1 minute? This utility was successfully tested by lots of users, and was found to disable all the known 'Suspicious' Functions in WindowsXP. It's customiseable, but comes up with the Default settings, which are recommended.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:04 02 May 05

You are using an open internet and there is no such thing as privacy. Microsoft have no interest in anything that is on mine or your computer as it is all drivel and the services run in the background for good reasons. Forget all the paranoid rubbish spouted by the less intelligent users on other forums and leave the services running, especially the auto-updates. They will not affect or slow down your computer and they will help stop viruses etc.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…