Is my power inverter telling me somethng?

WhiteTruckMan 21:52 10 Oct 10

My trusty old HP laptop has developed a screen fault these last few days. as it gets warm the screen goes black at the slightest touch. I thought it was the graphics at first, but examination with a torch shows the graphics are all there, just not illuminated. Tried reseating things, no difference. when it goes off, rebooting usually brings it back, but only if I hold my breath. I suspect the screen illumination power inverter board is the culprit. Anyone concur? or got another idea? Second opinions are always welcome before the wallet is opened.

Thanks

WTM

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:57 10 Oct 10

yes, probably invertor or bad contact.
backlights either fade or go completely, there is no getting t back from a burnt out backlight.

WhiteTruckMan 22:10 10 Oct 10

well there is. Just needs a new screen, is all!. But I dont think thats the prob, as it works intermittantly. but it doesnt fade, just suddenly goes ( but I do get an occasional slight flicker).

Good job its not the screen though as its an oldish machine and none are to be had on ebay. but (used) inverters are, at the £12 ish mark -used of course. I'm not sure what a new one costs, but I probably cant justify one given the age of the machine.

WTM

woodchip 22:10 10 Oct 10

Could also be the tube that's on its way out

WhiteTruckMan 22:14 10 Oct 10

you mean the actual light emitting device then I think thats integral with the screen. In which case its not viable to replace. worst comes to worst I either break the machine for salvage (not much) or remove the screen entirely and use it with an external monitor as an impromptu desktop machine (not the first time I've done this, I might add)

WTM

WhiteTruckMan 22:31 10 Oct 10

with the screen bezel removed, exposing the inverter. By golly its hot. Are they supposed to run too hot to touch? (its in a translucent sleeve, btw, probably for electrical insulation purposes).

WTM

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:36 10 Oct 10
  robin_x 01:22 11 Oct 10

I broke my screen recently. New one from Cambridge Accessories through Amazon (£73 for my Compaq 15.6", CFL backlight version)(some are LED, but I spose they don't have inverters then)

click here

See if they have yours.

Instructions are NOT supplied, but seeing as you have it half in bits I guess you are switched on.

Search for a maintenance pdf in HP or I found various blogs and self help guides when I google 'screen replace' or 'broken screen'

Easy enough, but I still managed to mount the hinges wrong and have a screw left over.

I'll have to rip it all apart again.

Graham. 08:59 11 Oct 10
  WhiteTruckMan 23:39 11 Oct 10

I am more happy with my original diagnosis now. Thanks to everyone, especially for some really interesting and informative links. Time to tick this now.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…