My Pictures & My Video

GroupFC 15:10 25 May 04

I am using XP home and when I want to open a file in photo or video- editing software that are in these two folders, the dialogue box always comes showing folders with thumbnails on them. I would prefer to have them always come up with the file details. I can of course click on the dropdown and select details but I would prefer it if it was always this way, as of course when I come to open the next file it has reverted to folders with thumbnails!

I hope I have explained what I want to do, so that you can understand it but more importantly does anybody know how to do it!

As usual any advice/comments will be very much appreciated. TIA.

BurrWalnut 15:18 25 May 04

I posted this a few days ago. It might be what you are looking for.

By default, WinXP will remember the view settings for the 400 most recently used folders. After that, XP will begin overwriting the data of the oldest folder and its view setting will be lost. First of all, open Windows Explorer and go to Tools, Folder Options, View, Advanced Settings and ensure that "Remember each folder's view settings" is checked.

The 400 folder information is stored in two registry keys:-
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell and

To modify the registry to have more than 400 settings, go to Run, Regedit and highlight the first key (Shell), then Edit, New-Key-DWORD Value. Name this item "BagMRU Size" (without quotation marks, but with a space between BagMRU and Size). Double-click BagMRU Size, give it a Decimal value of 2000, then click OK.
Repeat the operation for the second key (ShellNoRoam)

You will have two "BagMRU Size" values equal to 0x000007d0 (2000). Close the registry and reboot. Windows XP will now remember 2000 folder view settings instead of 400.

GroupFC 15:28 25 May 04

Thanks but that's not the answer I'm looking for!

I already have "remember...etc." checked. The problem isn't viewing the folders in Explorer but having them show as a list (rather than folders with thumbnails) when opening a file in the relevant software.

Thanks anyway!

BurrWalnut 15:34 25 May 04

What I have suggested will preserve folder settings (for a while anyway).

Do the folders have thumbs.db files? I don't know how they work but I deleted scores of them some time ago with no detrimental effect.

GroupFC 16:10 25 May 04

No they're just folders with pictures in.

The problem is when I go to open them, with say a photo-editng programme, the dailogue box that pops up, shows a folder icon with four little pictures on it (for all the folders within "my pictures"), and then when I open a folder, I get little pictures for each of the files in the folder. What I would really like is to see is just a list of the folders and then when I open a folder just the list of files.

This is quite difficult to explain and what I am trying to get to happen, but what I am trying to do is have the open file dialogue box appear in the same manner as say for Word or Excel (i.e a list of the files in the folder rather than pretty pictures!).

BurrWalnut 16:25 25 May 04

I think the thumbs.db are hidden files so they need "unhiding" in Folder Options.

Don't you have user Tools, Preferences, Options or similar wording in the Photo-editing software, where the view can be changed?

GroupFC 16:43 25 May 04

I don't have any thumbs.db (not that I can find anyway!).

I'll check the second point when I get hope tonight. The photo-editing software on the machine I'm on at the moment is pretty basic and doesn't have any thing like that!

GroupFC 22:11 25 May 04

Anybody else got any ideas - or do I just have to live with it the way it is!

woodchip 22:19 25 May 04

What you mean is details view. You have to do it as above also Try it like this after you have done it through Option Menu, instead of closing with the little cross top right, close by going to file do this a couple of times choose details view then close and open

dotterel 22:38 25 May 04

What software are you using?

GroupFC 22:48 25 May 04

woodchip, I thought that was it but I don't seem to be able to make it stay like that!

dotterel, Moviemaker 2 for the video-editing and Serif's Photoplus 6 for the pictures - but does that have a bearing on what I'm trying to achieve?

Basically what I am trying to do is to get these two programs to always show the files in a list, as I find it easier to find what I'm looking for from a list rather than having to wade through lots of little pictures as its a pain having to click tocahnge the view every time!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…