'My pictures' causing crash

Maurellis 16:14 07 Jan 04

My computer re-starts 85% of the time when I click on 'my pictures' folders. It also restarts when I try to download an image into My Pictures from the web and also if I try to insert a picture into my web design from a 'my picture' file. What can I do to resolve this problem?

©®@$? 16:20 07 Jan 04

have you got allot of pictures in the folder

hugh-265156 16:21 07 Jan 04

have a look in control panel/administrative tools/event viewer and see if there are any errors listed under the application and system tabs which may point to the problem.click the link given for the event to see if there is a fix.

also click: control panel/system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings and untick the "automatically restart" box.now when windows crashes you will get a error displayed instaed of a restart.

note the error down and type it exactly as it is displayed into the search box click here

also try clicking: start/run and type "sfc /scannow" insert your windows cd if prompted to do so to fix any damaged or missing system files(if windows was pre installed you wont be asked for the cd)

Maurellis 19:57 11 Jan 04

I tried sfc/runnow and got the error message 'cannot find file' 'browse.

christmascracker 20:08 11 Jan 04

sfc /scannow

Note the space

hugh-265156 20:09 11 Jan 04

its sfc /scannow (note space between sfc and /)

did you untick the automatically restart box? if so what is the error displayed when it crashes?

did you check event viewer for errors? what are they?

Maurellis 21:09 11 Jan 04

Huggyg71.
Yes, I unclicked the restart but it still came up with the error: 'windows explorer has encountered a problem and has to close' then it restarted but no explanation. I also did the sfc /scannow. It scanned but did not show me that there were any problems. When I looked at Admin tool I saw 512 application/security alert/system error records. All of them had the code SNX275140
Does that tell you anything - like, throw the computer away and get another one. By the way, it's a Packard Bell Easy one silver laptop, running XP home, with 386 meg ram.

woodchip 21:12 11 Jan 04

More like throw XP away

hugh-265156 22:33 11 Jan 04

SNX275140 im thinking may be your PB serial number/computer name,i may be wrong.

as woodchip says it may be easier if you just reinstall windows xp.

the only other thing i can suggest is try safe mode first (keep tapping F8 or F5 when you first switch on the computer and select it from the menu)does it crash when you select the my pics folder in safe mode? if it works ok here then i would think its maybe a software or driver issue,in which case click here and click here

is this your laptop click here maybe try updating your sis630st graphics/audio/ide/agp drivers from click here they will be more up to date than packard bells versions and probally work better(i use these generic ones myself,much better than packard bells).also update windows xp click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…