my pc wont turn on if my hdd is plug in the ide

eggbotz 18:45 23 Jul 06

my pc wont turn on if my hdd is plug in the ide

my back up harddisk has been plugin into my pc lately then when I switch on my pc wont turn on, and when I plug out my backup harddisk it switch on, is there any problem in my motherboard, power supply or in my harddisk?

thanks for the help and reply answers :)

woodchip 18:47 23 Jul 06

This I take it is a USB External Hard Drive

Diemmess 18:50 23 Jul 06

What happens if you switch on first and only plug your external HD once Windows is running?

johnnyrocker 18:51 23 Jul 06

if your back up is a removable (from caddy) make sure it has not become unseated, i got caught once with that one.

johnny.

eggbotz 19:46 23 Jul 06

its not a removable drive, I just set it tot secondary master, its seems its not turning on, even I press so many times on the power on, still wont on the pc, but when I remove the harddisk from the pc its switch on and the pc's is working

DieSse 20:03 23 Jul 06

Then the hard drive must be faulty - maybe just the cable, but more likely the hard drive.

woodchip 20:18 23 Jul 06

Faulty or jumper are not set correctly. Main drive should be set to Master on end of cable other drive set as slave on middle connector

DieSse 23:06 23 Jul 06

The jumper being set incorrectly will not prevent the PC from turning on.

ed-0 23:10 23 Jul 06

Un plug all the other IDE devices. Try and start the computer with just the back up hard drive.

Will the computer post?

If not, change IDE cable. If still no go. It's probably damaged.

daba 23:40 23 Jul 06

from aht you have said I think you are confusing "Primary/Secondary" and "Master/Slave"

If you are connecting your backup drive to the same IDE cable as your existing HDD, (which must be plugged into the "Primary" IDE channel), then you need to set the jumper on your backup drive to "Slave". Your existing HDD which boots into Windows must be "Master".
If connecting your backup drive to the "Secondary" IDE socket on your motherboard, then set it to "Master", but only if there are no other drives (CD or DVD for example) drives on that cable.
You cannot set "Primary" or "Secondary" on the drives themselves, that is determined by which IDE channel it is connected.

The rules are simple...

There are two IDE channels, "Primary" and "Secondary". Each has its own socket.

Each IDE channel (socket) can have a maximum of two drives attached, one must be set to "Master", the other to "Slave".

If only one drive is on an IDE channel, it must be "Master".

HTH

daba 23:41 23 Jul 06

"from what you have said..."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…