MY P.C WONT TURN OFF

belgarth_the_sorcerer 20:13 18 Mar 03

everytime i try to shut down my p.c it reboots it self anyone know why its doing this?
i have win xp ive checked for trojans and viruses none were found i have to hold the on/off button in for 10 secs b4 i can shut it down then when i start it up again i get an error message saying windows wasnt shut down properly do i want to start it in safe mode or normal start plz help its doing my head in
thanx

MAJ 20:23 18 Mar 03

Are you running Adaware6 which has Ad-watch 3 incorporated, belgarth_the_sorcerer? It was a bug with those programs before they updated them.

Qmar 20:27 18 Mar 03

First, be sure that the PC is running with the latest available BIOS revision. Older PCs may not be ACPI compliant to begin with, so this is an important consideration. Once that's done, disable all power management within the BIOS, then enter Windows 9x and also disable power management functions prior to the upgrade. When Win2K/XP attempt to determine power management settings appropriate for the PC, Win9x won't be the primary source of this information, which is done as a conservative measure in order to provide the best overall compatibility. The setup process should then enumerate the actual capabilities of the hardware.

VoG™ 20:30 18 Mar 03
  powerless 20:32 18 Mar 03
  cookie monsta 20:35 18 Mar 03

I have seen this problem on a Hewlett Packard machine running XP. I think you may find it is a driver issue that causes this, and it happens when the system shuts down in a particular order.

Sometimes it will shut down, other times it wont, and restarts.

There is a resolve in Service Pack 1, if you have this and it still happens, try the Knowledge Base @ click here

wetterfugal™ 20:46 18 Mar 03

click here it should take you to my previous post on this subject. It was solved by disabling "Wakeup on Modem/Lan in the bios/Power Management. I could shutdown OK but it would restart at any time from hours to about 10 seconds.

cookie monsta 20:51 18 Mar 03

go here, this article covers your problem in full!!!

click here;EN-US;320299

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…