My PC won't shut down

golfpro 08:08 22 Nov 05

My Norton AV (System Works 2002) is set for automatic update and virus check once a week. Everything runs OK, but when I try to shut down my PC at night the same day as the Norton check, it won't shut down in the normal way, and I have to shut down with the power switch. Another peculiar thing is, the Norton Icon disappears from the task bar when I try shutting down as normal but nothing else. This only happens after the Norton check.
This has been going on now for a long time and I hope someone can help with this problem, trying to get through to Symantec by email, is hopeless
OS XP Home.

DieSse 10:28 22 Nov 05

Adaware Adwatch can cause this problem - are you using it?

Diversion 11:02 22 Nov 05

My system does that sometimes and as DieSse says above Adaware does cause the same problem with my XP pro edition. But I press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring the Windows Task Manager up and click on users, then log off and then go through the procedure of shutting down. It’s safer than using the power switch.

phil46 11:12 22 Nov 05

You say your running NSW 2002 your lucky to get any virus updates as NSW 2002 as it's no longer supported.

realist 12:50 22 Nov 05

My Norton AV 2001 is still auto-updated after being re-installed annually since I bought it

golfpro 13:22 22 Nov 05

Thanks, yes I do use adaware and adwatch I'll will shut them down next time and see what happens.
Also even though its an old version, they have taken my money and still update the software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…