Is my PC overheating

golfpro 06:49 10 Sep 08

Last night I went to shut down from the start menu as normal but the PC just locked up. I tried to shut down using the Ctrl>Alt>delt but that would not work, in the end I had to use the power button.
When I tried to boot up again a couple of minuets later It got a little way into the boot up stage and shut down again.
This morning everything was back to normal. I normally shut down my PC in the afternoon until I get home and restart for about half an hour to check one or two things, but yesterday I left it on all day. We have been having temperatures around 28-30c for the last few weeks and I am wondering if this has caused the problem.

Halmer 07:07 10 Sep 08

fluff blocking the external vents first.

golfpro 07:26 10 Sep 08

Done that, I tend to wipe them clean every other day.

golfpro 07:28 10 Sep 08

By the way the temp. in my little office at home now (8.30am), is 28.5c.

Technotiger 08:50 10 Sep 08

Download and run click here and then click on the temperature gauge icon in the left-hand column, this will show all you temperatures.

A very useful tool any to have on your PC.

Technotiger 08:52 10 Sep 08

show all *your* temperatures.

useful tool to have *anyway* on your PC.

Halmer 08:55 10 Sep 08

Have you taken the lid off and looked inside to see if there is a lot of fluff around the fans etc?

FatboySlim71 08:57 10 Sep 08

It may be a good idea to take the side off of the computer and check the fans from inside, because the CPU fan is inside and if this becomes clogged with fluff and starts to overheat due to this then this would shutdown the computer down.

I don't live in a particularly dusty environment, but I always take the side of of my computer every 3 months or so and give the fans a good clean with a small paint brush, while I am brushing I have the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner near to this to catch/suck up the loosened fluff/dust. You will be surprised at how much dust/fluff gets in their in this space of time.

Halmer 15:23 10 Sep 08
  FatboySlim71 22:30 10 Sep 08

Good link.
Are the cans of compressed air readily available has I can't remember seeing them in any computer shops I have been in?

golfpro 06:47 11 Sep 08

Thanks for the replies guys all helpful. I'm pretty sure it had over heated, but everything seems to be back to normal now, in these abnormal temperatures we are experiencing at the moment here in Innsbruck, I don't leave my pc on all day now when not needed. I do need to take the back off sometime, its just finding the time to do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now