My PC makes beeping noise

o44wen 12:59 12 Jan 09

Hello,

I was sitting at my pc and turned and knocked it with my knee. Not the first time I have done this but this time the screen went blank and the computer started beeping from within.

I have switched it off for a few days now and still when I switch on again it beeps and no signal is going to the screen.

Does anyone recognise the problem and would you be able to give me any ideas on how to fix this or would it be best to take it to a PC shop?

I have a lot of data not recently backup and hope this isnt going to be lost :-(

daxian 13:08 12 Jan 09

hi o44wen...
the most likely reason will be the graphics card has been unseated by the blow /blows...
take the side off the pc and reseat the graphics card (be sure to unplug from the mains first).
hope this helps, Dave.

gazzaho 16:10 12 Jan 09

Just switch off the mains don't unplug, with the plug in the socket the system is earthed, touching any metal part of the casing such as a PCI card retaining screw will therefor discharge any static you may have accumulated. The chance of damaging the card or other parts with static will be greatly reduced by using this method.

Jigsaw616 17:34 12 Jan 09

One long beep would indicate a memory problem. Eight short beeps would indicate a graphics problem. It is likely that they have been unseated by the knock.

Another thing is (it sounds quite unlikely) if you have a keyboard/mouse with PS/2 connection check they are not half in the plug, with one pin not connected, as this can cause the computer to not start.

Another obscure suggestion is that a key is stuck on your keyboard. If the key is stuck during bootup, the keybuffer will be filled, and this will cause the system to beep.

Hope this helps

o44wen 20:15 13 Jan 09

thanks folks, sorted the problem, it was the graphics card. I did on the first night check everything but after reading your replies at work I decided just to take the cards out and replace them and all worked.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…