My PC keeps rebooting whilst playing games

derricks62 09:27 04 Dec 06

There seems to be a lot of information on the web about this and currently I'm confused as to what I should do next. The PC is brand new (Oct 2006) it's a Zoostorm top of the range one (Dual core, Nvidia 7900gtx, creative labs xfi soundblaster platinum etc). I don't have much loaded on it. I've got F-secure (internet security), XP home, MS office 2003 and so far games such as FEAR, Prey, BF2142, Unreal Tournament 2003, and a few Star wars games for my boys.
The symptoms seem to be that it randomly reboots whilst playing games. Sometimes it's fine whilst other times it will suddenly reboot. It's usually in the first 5-10 minutes after starting. Once it's done it (maybe a few times) it then seems to settle down and is fine.
I've loaded the latest drivers for the sound and graphics card, I've run memtest (and found no memory problems). Does anybody else have any suggestions?

Wavey Davey 10:19 04 Dec 06

Check your power supply. It may be failing and the extra power demanded by the graphics card when you fire up a game is just enough to push it over the edge.

Trackrat 10:20 04 Dec 06

Have you looked in the event viewer to see what is happening when it reboots?.
Right click My Computer/click Manage/click event viewer, and look under applications & system.
Look for any red marks/if you then right click the entry/click properties, and you will be given information about the fauly, also if you click on the microsoft URL it will give you more information.

crosstrainer 10:50 04 Dec 06

You can calculate your power requirements from this site.... although I find it hard to believe that your new system would be underpowered it's worth a check /click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…