MY PC HAS BEEN ATTACKED

blueranger 18:21 19 Oct 06

Please help me. I am a bit of a pc novice but over the past couple of weeks my pc has been taken over by what I assume is spyware. My home page changes to a chinese site even after Ive changed it back, also a chinese toolbar seems to install itself.

Last night I ran ad-aware on my pc but have tried to remove something called chinese navigation also which seems to install itself. I have removed this from the add/remove programs but it wont remove itself from the list even though it says it has been uninstalled.

Does anyone know whether my pc will be clear now or should I run anything else. Also - if I have removed the rogue cookies etc I obviously need to install new anti virus software, hopefully that will also prevent spyware. Obviously I would like this free. Any thoughts?

VoG II 18:22 19 Oct 06

Run Ewido click here

blueranger 18:29 19 Oct 06

Will this just remove any existing spyware?
Also I would like a permanent anti virus software solution, hopefully free of charge. Will this do that also or will I need anything else?

VoG II 18:29 19 Oct 06

Free anti-virus click here

Totally-braindead 18:32 19 Oct 06

Do you not have anti virus software already? I use AVG and its fine but if you already have some other brand of anti virus on your computer it will conflict.

Jackcoms 18:43 19 Oct 06

Use this free anti-malware program click here as well as anti-virus

And run this little tool (CW Shredder) click here to check for (and remove) home page hijackers

blueranger 19:42 19 Oct 06

Thanks for your help guys, I still appear to be having problems though. Please dont be too technical as Im a bit of a novice.

I had Kapersky on my pc which seems to be doing nothing, Im going to uninstall this.

I have installed and ran AVG Spyware software and have removed everything that was found. Things still dont seem right though, Ive been back on the internet and my google toolbar looks different but is in chinese. I dont seem to be able to get rid of all this stuff.

Any thoughts! Please help!

VoG II 19:44 19 Oct 06

We could keep recommending anti-spyware programs but I think it's time to let the real malware experts take a look.

Download and run HJT click here and post your log on the MWR forum click here

johndrew 19:53 19 Oct 06

It may seem like a lot of reading, but these links may help you understand what you need and why you are having problems. I had problems when I first started and was advised to use one anti-virus (I use AVG Free) several anti-spyware and malware products (I use Defender, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, a-squared Free, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard) which are free and very good.

click here
click here
click here
click here
click here

Jak_1 19:54 19 Oct 06

blueranger, follow the above advice but, run the scans with system restore turned off. By default anitivirus and antimalware cannot clear items from the system restore folder whilst it is active.

Control Panel > System > System Restore

Suggest also running av and antispy in safe mode (keep tapping the F key on bootup). Run the scans and this should clear the problem. Then reboot the pc in normal mode, reactivate system restore and all should be well.

johndrew 19:55 19 Oct 06

Sorry I forgot, I also use Kerio Personal firewall which is the full version for the trial period and reverts to the free version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…