Is my pc beyond help?

Thompslj 11:46 07 Aug 03

I had upgraded my windows 98 Second Ed to Windows XP over 2 months ago. 2 days ago while trying to reboot system I had a Windows/System32/config/systems missing or corrupt message. I managed to re-format the disk so it could load Windows 98, the task completed ok. However, its detecting devices, and when I come to load drivers from D:/ it is not picking them up. Also even though I have rebooted disconnect and re-connected mouse. It is not recognising this. This the second time I have had to partition in 12 months. Does any one think the PC is worth repairing? The pc is an evesham evoloution with a 700 mhz processor,20 gighd, over 3 years old. Or does anyone think I should get new, hard drive and dvd rewriter. If I do get a new bigger hard drive will I need to upgrade the cpu? Any comment would be really welcome!!

Lozzy 11:54 07 Aug 03

I would save money and keep cpu as is unless speed is very important to you. However I would increase your ram and also get a new HDD.

Lozzy 11:59 07 Aug 03

Another point in upgrading your system is that you may require a new Motherboard depending on the CPU you go for. You need to decide between cost and speed benefits in upgrading.

stlucia 13:13 07 Aug 03

I've an Evesham with an Athlon 600, and it's running 98SE and XP satisfactorily, so I agree with Lozzy's advice that you needn't upgrade anything just for the sake of it. I've added a 40Gb and an 80Gb HDD to my original 13Gb one over the years, and increased the memory to 256Mb. None of these changes require any change to the cpu.

If the suggestion is that your problems are caused by a failing HDD, the right answer must be to replace it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…