My painfully slow boot up.

The Dazza 19:47 23 Oct 04

Over the past few weeks when I boot up my Windows ME Office 2000 PC it kind of pauses for a couple of minutes before loading my desktop icons on the screen. It then works as normal. I can't restore my system as I had a nasty virus on it (which I have now got rid of). It's not the RAM and the only software I have installed since this started is Avast anti virus. What could it be??

Diodorus Siculus 20:04 23 Oct 04

click here and look at the startup options he suggests. You can disable a number of the programs that load automatically.

woodchip 20:33 23 Oct 04

go run type msconfig go to startup tab and remove office fast find tick and all office items that start at boot they do not need to. then reboot

The Dazza 15:24 24 Oct 04

Tried the suggested and this hasn't made much difference. Could I have some sort of virus which is slowing my bootup, that isn't traceable with Avast? I couldn't find WIN.INI or SYSTEM.INI and I have enabled "Show hidden files and folders".

Diodorus Siculus 15:32 24 Oct 04

click here
for an online AV scan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…