My own domain name for email?

Newuser3068 09:52 12 Nov 03

Can anyone tell me if there's an ISP who will let me use my own domain name for my email address, as well as giving me fixed price unlimited dial-up access?
Assuming my name is Bill Bloggs, I want to have my email sent to "[email protected]", without the ISP's name being mentioned. Preferably I would also like to rent the domain name as part of the package.
Could you please explain how I can do this?
Many thanks.

Pesala 09:56 12 Nov 03

Try these people:

click here;jsessionid=4B7E5E8524FBFDB404AD0D634F9BE768.TC31a?__page=domain&ac=OM.UK.UK274K01172T1002a

Heckmotor 10:28 12 Nov 03

Newuser3068, I'm no techie, as anyone can see from my postings, but you can probably use Pop3 email addresses without changing your ISP, once you've bought your domain name, unless you're using AOL. We have to come out of AOL and send via Freeserve 'pay-as-you-go', because AOL's intrusive protocols make it impossible.

I'm looking for an alternative 'catch-all' service right now. (See this morning's ISDN ISP posting.)

Newuser3068 10:37 12 Nov 03

Pesala
Thanks for your suggestion, but 1&1 are not an ISP, so they can't offer me a dial-up account. They say that I can use their Domain Mail service via any ISP but I simply don't understand how this works. How do I "hide" my freeserve email address behind my 1&1 domain so as to be able to have my own domain as my email address?

pj123 11:19 12 Nov 03

If you email me using the envelope you will see that it is myname@ mydomain .co. uk (spaces used to stop it being a Click Here) To do it you need to buy a domain name and then you need a hosting service who will divert any emails to your domain name to any ISP that you are using. I am on NTL Broadband but my Host has diverted all emails from my domain name to NTL for me. I could quite easily get my Host to divert to my AOL account. I just ring them and tell them to divert to anyone.

Pesala 11:57 12 Nov 03

click here;jsessionid=9817B3CDF059E2149A3EE6ABA59CD1D7.TC32a?__frame=_top

hssutton 12:03 12 Nov 03

I have used several different ISPs, but I still use my domain name. Have a look @ click here. they also host the domain name and divert your emails to your ISP. extremely easy to set up

menorcarob2 12:26 12 Nov 03

When you dial into your isp tiscali, wanadoo, freeserve, ect, you are conected to the internet in outlook express you can add as many names and e-mail address's as you wish, with some isp's they will not let you collect mail that is not using there extension, all you need to do is change your pop3 and smtp settings accordingly and change your e-mail reply address to the one you wish to use.

menorcarob2 12:29 12 Nov 03

a very good stable hosting company that seems to understand that we are not all experts, i have been with them nearly four years now and cannot fault them.

1and1 as Pesala mentioned will register your domain name .co.uk for 2quid for two years, with that you can redirect mail to your existing address. so if you register Bloggs.co.uk you will be able to set up an email address (In fact a lot more than one) as [email protected] and have it redirected to your existing email service.

if you spend a little more money on a hosting package (a fiver a month which i suppose is substantially more money) you can get Pop3 mailboxes and 500MB of webspace AND you get NOF7,FP2002 and photoimpact7se for free.

if having your own domain name for your emails is important to you then a small amount of money such as this to have a web presence is almost certainly worth it. but the basic fact is Two pounds will get your address sorted for Two years.

Patr100 13:50 12 Nov 03

OneandOne will register your domaain or you could transfer it to them if you already have one. although you exisitng company might charge for transfer. you have to check. With basic a domain at OneandOne comes webpage and email forwarding. If however you want Pop3 email for use with say, Outlook Express you can use their Doamain Name Plus service for about 9.99 a year extra . With Pop3 you can reply using the same email that someone used to email to you. With basic email forwarding you can only reply with the email address it is forwarded to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…