My Old Pc

olyt 09:49 12 Aug 03

Hi,
So one day i decided to boot my old pc and well it didnt work...who knows why ! I left it a couple of days and it booted fine. (AMAZING)
I formated it and reinstalled windows xp, it was working fine and it was all good untill......One day i opend it up to have a look i took out the ram gave a bit of a clean put it back in (it was in properly) put the casue on plugged things in..and..it hasnt booted !!!!! It makes a constant beep sound and the light on the monitor flashes on and off. I can hear that the fan has started and the main hard drive but the screen hasn't !!!!!!!!!! Help Please

Bodi 10:06 12 Aug 03

What kind of memory modules does it have? Does it boot into CMOS? Giving the RAM "a bit of a clean" means exactly what? - Have you tried another memory module?

Try here and see if you can work out what the error beeps mean.

click here

Bodi

olyt 10:28 12 Aug 03

one 128Mb RAM
Boots In CMOS
There was another 128Mb RAM in but they were conflicting.
I took the ram out and put it back in again.

jospar 11:52 12 Aug 03

Sounds like a ram problem.

First check that everything is seated properly, including your graphics card. Then if this doesn't solve it;

When you took the ram out did you put them back into the same banks, some boards are fuss what goes where in there banks, mobo manual will tell you, how to set up different combinations of ram sizes ect.

It could be that you are putting the ram back into the wrong bank, to check, start from one end of the banks/slots, swicth on and if it doesn't boot. Then try the next bank/slot along.

If this still happen through all bank/slots, use your other ram and repeat, or see if you can borrow a working ram from someone.

It could have been that you damaged the rams when you took them out, they can be very sensitive, never touch the connectors.

How did you clean them?

olyt 13:34 12 Aug 03

Thanks i borrowd one off my friend and it booted up so i bought it off him.

THANKS

Bodi 16:36 12 Aug 03

olyt: Next time you "clean" a RAM module - if it's not making proper contact, use a rubber eraser and gently rub the contacts. Before you put it back in, blow off any surplace rubber which may still be adhering to the contacts.

Bodi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…