My old disk structure cannot delete files

Young Ranger 11:59 12 Aug 04

Last week I used the recovery disk in Windows XP home edition. The system is now working OK but I cannot delete the file "My Old Disk Structure". When I try to do so I get the error message "Cannot delete ASTW_A~2: cannot find specified file".

I have deleted most of the individual folders but get this same message when I try to delete the "Documents and settings" folder. This folder is 11.4GB so I would obviously like to get rid of it if I can.

Likewise I cannot delete the Windows folder.In this case it appears to go through the delete process but it is still there and no error message. This file is 1.92GB in size.

Any sugestions please.

Young Ranger 19:55 12 Aug 04

refresh

CurlyWhirly 20:32 12 Aug 04

Have you tried deleting in SAFE MODE?
CW

THE TERMINATOR 23:25 12 Aug 04

have you tried re-naming and then deleting....TT

kspatto 23:43 12 Aug 04

have you tried right clicking on the files in question and selecting properties and unchecking the boxes marked read only

patto

Young Ranger 00:29 13 Aug 04

Tried renaming but still get the same error message.

Also tried changing the read only attribute (to include all of the sub folders)but they still won't delete. When I checked the properties again it had returned to being read only again.

Young Ranger 23:54 13 Aug 04

refresh

Young Ranger 16:14 14 Aug 04

refresh

BurrWalnut 16:28 14 Aug 04

Try Dr. Delete from click here

Young Ranger 18:20 14 Aug 04

Tried DrDelete but it cannot delete a file that cannot be found (unless you know differently?)and as far as I can see it will not delete a whole folder.

I have deleted all of the visible folders and files that I can which has reduced the folder to 662MB. The remainder consists of 2 folders containing hidden files. If I try to delete the whole folder I just get the afore mentioned message.

If I run a search for the file then I get the message "Cannot find....."

Young Ranger 18:55 14 Aug 04

I thought I had managed to delete the folder using DrDelete. I got the message asking me to confirm that I wanted to delete the folder which I did but when I rebooted the folder was still there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…