My niece has deleted Windows 98 from her computer!

On starting the pc you get a very fast screen warning (too fast to read!)followed by normal Windows 98 screen, then into DOS mode (black screen flashing cursor underneath a message saying "You are missing files")
Tried putting in Evesham recovery disk but nothing happens!
All help appreciated!

Taff36 10:57 22 Mar 05

Can you get into safe mode by tapping F8 as the computer goes through the POST check? (when the computer is putting up the system details it should say "starting windows" before the Win 98 screen comes up. Suggest you try it and let us know.

Thanks Taff- have to get over there & try it out!
May be a long running thread this- am going to try and get her PC over here to fix it.

Diemmess 11:45 22 Mar 05

The chances are that the Evesham recovery disk is last on the list of "Boot Devices"

See what you can see first when you have a chance to play with it, but if you are going to try the recovery disk then tap away on the delete key as soon as the computer is switched on.

This should take you into the BIOS section where you can search for "first boot device". This will be set as Floppy or HD 0. Use PgUp or PgDown to cycle through the alternatives to reach CDROM. come out of the BIOS saving the change.

Pop the CD in the slot and keep your fingers crossed!

Thaks- I think I remeber doing something like that before- will post back once I've got hold of the PC!!

Excuse thanks remember!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…