my new pc problem. hd or mobo?? help please.

manhole_fusion 17:59 02 Feb 05

hi there im new so be nice.

just got a new pc built. it will not load an os. xp pro, win98se, win95. nothing will load up on it. so its blank and un usable.

pc is asrock k7s41gx mobo
xp 2800+ cpu
512 ddr
hd 80gig

it will not load. is it the mobo. i know its rubish.

it just keeps going round and round in circles. its either hd or mobo i reccon, i know asrock on this board has loads of problems!

help please

andy

mattyc_92 18:01 02 Feb 05

It could be both... Try using a "Win98 Startup disk" to format the drive and install Win98... If this allows you to do this, then you know it is something you are doing wrong...

manhole_fusion 18:03 02 Feb 05

hd is formatted fresh and still wont do anything. hd been reset to brand new, still no luck .

mattyc_92 18:05 02 Feb 05

OK.... Your BOIS??? Is it up-2-date to reconise the hard-disk and to be able to boot from CD???

ACOLYTE 18:07 02 Feb 05

Did you build it or somone else? and didnt they install the OS after it was built?,if its not working take it back to who built it.

manhole_fusion 18:08 02 Feb 05

yes. once loaded xp pro settings it reboots and starts from hd and cd. xp goes all the way through and theen restarts doing it again. win 98 says these is insufficient space to load it. i know win 98 can not recognise big hd's. only once has xp pro loaded after 12hrs of doing so and when turned on there was no sound, and turned off once cpu got to 50 degrees. ( massive problem with this mobo)

manhole_fusion 18:11 02 Feb 05

i had it built but this company are ( well i wont swear). came blank unused as new. its obvious all cant be broken. its either the hd or mobo. i know thismobo is rubish and is budget. dabs sells it for £26 inc vat. reviews show the board is full of complaints.

Gongoozler 18:18 02 Feb 05

Windows 98se should have no problem with an 80G hard drive (I'm not sure about Win 98 1st edn). Have you checked the shut down temperature in BIOS?

If your Asrock motherboard is giving that much trouble, I would really consider replacing it with something more reliable. I'm using an Asus A7V8X-X, and have been absolutely delighted with it. Because the chipset is getting a bit dated the price has come down to under £31 (+ postage) click here

manhole_fusion 18:19 02 Feb 05

could a mother board create this kind of problem im having loading of an opp system?

Gongoozler 18:20 02 Feb 05

I should have mentioned that if the hard drive has been formatted in NTFS you will not be able to install either version of Windows 98.

Gongoozler 18:22 02 Feb 05

The motherboard shouldn't have any effect on loading the operating system, but it could cause random shut-downs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…