My new PC keeps crashing

Willow12 17:15 02 Jul 06

In the 10 days since I have had my new PC it has crashed to a blue screen with a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 3 times. Damaging the programs that were running each time. The error report message is as follows

[b]Error caused by a device driver

Thank you for submitting an error report.

Problem description

A device driver installed on your computer caused the problem; however, we cannot determine the precise cause. To troubleshoot the problem, see Getting help.[/b]

Each time it has crashed I have been in the middle various applications that I have used to no ill effect on other machines and it has not crashed upon opening anything.

I performed a hardware Express check by booting to Utility Partition on bootup which came clear and also as a last resort used the factory installed Norton Ghost to start everything again from scratch.

I am concerned that I may have an intermitant hardware fault although I cannot dismiss the chance that an application which worked fine before might not on a newer PC.

Help

Willow12

SLAYER 17:23 02 Jul 06

Take it back.Hopefully you did not get it from PC World.

I had the same problem. It was just a matter of going into device manager and updating drivers on everything with the discs u should have provided.

rezeeg 17:30 02 Jul 06

Willow12 'driver irql not less or equal, is a very generic windows error, it doesn't mean much unless accompanied by a file name.

Make a note of the full reference on the blue screen and get back to your supplier as it's a new PC.

Willow12 18:55 02 Jul 06

How do I do this. I did not get any driver disks when I got the new PC a everthing was pre-installed.

VoG II 19:03 02 Jul 06

In that case take it back - it is not fit for purpose.

Willow12 19:08 02 Jul 06

It was an online purchase through Dell, so let us hope that their customer service is better than I have heard!

Belatucadrus 21:28 02 Jul 06

Try their on-line customer support click here for new drivers first and if that doesn't fix it, get it replaced.
I've never had any problems with Dell customer service, but I tend to confine my correspondence to e-mail. Making sure that all relevant numbers like Order, Service tag and when you get it case number are included. I find it easier to clearly list any problems rather than trust somebody in a call centre to transcribe correctly.
click here Dell troubleshooter may also be worth a look, but as it's a new machine I wouldn't bother.

Willow12 21:36 02 Jul 06

I contacted Dell by email and they linked me to their Crash Anaysis Tool which I downloaded and ran. It came up with AOL as the problem which is simply an unused Icon on my desktop (pre-installed) I removed it from startups and hope that this will solve the problems, but we will see.

Belatucadrus

I did look into the new drivers issue but being a PC illiterate had no clue as to what I should and should not be downloading or even how to install once I had.

woodchip 22:15 02 Jul 06

One way stop. Back to supplier

woodchip 22:15 02 Jul 06

PS It may be faulty RAM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…