My new PC - do I need to do anything else?

Halmer 14:44 04 Jan 06

I've: -

Transferred all old needed data files to new PC and backed them up on a CD.

Loaded Ad-Aware, Microsoft Anti Spy, Spy Bot and Spyware Blaster.

Loaded 3 months free Norton AV, Firewall etc.

Done an on-line Symantic security check.

Created a Compaq recovery disc on a DVD-R.

...and finally got everything else working (fingers crossed).

Is there anything else that I need to particularly from a security point of view?

Slithe 14:46 04 Jan 06

How about - Windows Update - there is bound to be some security ones there?

If they've not come up already, the friendly yellow Shield thingy by the clock, you will need to do it manually by Windows Update from the Start Menu.

After that, how about a back up of your system, so you can restore it if you ever need to without needing the recovery disc and before adding any software/hardware that may cause problems?

woodchip 14:48 04 Jan 06

If Y was you dont relly on just the recovery disc. Get Acronis True Image and make a Image of C:\Drive

Halmer 14:49 04 Jan 06

I've done the Windows update one and updated Norton and the spyware programs.Forgot to mention it sorry.

I've checked the System Restore settings and one has been created for each day that I have had the PC. It created one for example when I loaded Microsoft's anti spyware program. If I recall it gave me the option. System restore is set to 'on'.

Halmer 14:50 04 Jan 06

How much does that cost and where do i get it from please?

GroupFC 14:52 04 Jan 06
  woodchip 14:56 04 Jan 06

You could try the trial software

recap 14:59 04 Jan 06

Maybe this should be kept near the top to enable others to see what to do when either starting with a new PC or just backing up a system.

Hamish 15:07 04 Jan 06

Do you have this click here

Halmer 15:19 04 Jan 06

I have the exe file but thought that it might be overkill or even cause conflicts on my new PC if I loaded that also.

Thanks

Halmer 15:21 04 Jan 06

If I try the trial software does this mean that I will be able to create a usable back up (in say two years if something goes wrong)?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017