My new Intel 2200bg firmware caused xp login probs

TicTacToc 20:24 15 Jan 06

oh oops: heres my story:

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop, the intel 2200bg wireless card and the WRT54G. My connection works fine, except at random intervals (sometimes 2 hours apart, sometimes 30 minutes) my wifi light goes off and I loose connection. By pressing Fn+F2 to turn them back on nearly always resurrects my connection but it is annoying.

I saw the option to upgrade firmware so I upgraded the firmware too: 9.0.3.9

Now I have no welcome screen and I can't use fast switching, when I try and enable them in control panel >user accounts, it says: A recently installed program has disabled these functions, to restore these features. IWPDGINA.DLL might help to tell you which program. . .which I think is the wireless. .is there an easy fix, or do I just have to roll back the software? If so, to which one?

Thanks

ade.h 21:56 15 Jan 06

Is FUS responding to changes made in services.msc or is that not working either?

TicTacToc 22:16 15 Jan 06

Assuming FUS, is fast user swapping, I'm not sure what quite what you mean.. .

I think the logging on and user switching is the only thing afffected and I think the services are workgin as normal.

ade.h 22:36 15 Jan 06

Okay; you need to run services.msc, in which you will find Fast User Switching, and try to change it from there. Double-click on it.

TicTacToc 22:56 15 Jan 06

ah i see, it is started and on though. I restarted it a few times, with no luck, and all the options seemed normal . . .
Thanks for the help anyway. .

ade.h 23:04 15 Jan 06

Well you can't roll back firmware, only drivers and Windows' system state.

Next step; completely uninstall the offending devices and then run Crap Cleaner click here and System File Checker - sfc /scannow.

TicTacToc 19:07 17 Jan 06

hi its sorted now i think now.

I reinstalled the firmware, remembering I had selected an option called 'pre logon connect' when reinstalling I unticked this and my problems went away.

About rolling back, if I go to my Adapter Settings, and then firmware, there is a big button to roll back to previous installation of firmware. . .not sure if this is what you said couldn't be done or not. .

ade.h 19:22 17 Jan 06

I was generalising, but it is very rare to find any hardware in which you can roll back firmware. The system for flashing firmware is commonly done from a command prompt - sometimes even in a DOS sub-environment - and thus is not necessarily designed to allow a rollback.

What you have in your case is a form of dual firmware ROM chip, somewhat like a dual BIOS, which stores the previous firmware version for you. A very few types of hardware are beginning to adopt this feature. I hope that it will become the norm, but I know that's wishful thinking!

arnabmit 22:04 21 Aug 06

Just go to add-remove programs and modify the Intel Proset Wireless. Uncheck the "Pre-Logon Connection" and apply. On reboot u will be presented with the normal Welcome screen instead of the Network Logon screen.

ade.h 22:36 21 Aug 06

This is an eight month old thread that has already been resolved and the OP was not using ProSet. So quite why you have bothered to resurrect it, I really don't know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…