My new Intel 2200bg firmware caused xp login probs

TicTacToc 20:24 15 Jan 06

oh oops: heres my story:

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop, the intel 2200bg wireless card and the WRT54G. My connection works fine, except at random intervals (sometimes 2 hours apart, sometimes 30 minutes) my wifi light goes off and I loose connection. By pressing Fn+F2 to turn them back on nearly always resurrects my connection but it is annoying.

I saw the option to upgrade firmware so I upgraded the firmware too: 9.0.3.9

Now I have no welcome screen and I can't use fast switching, when I try and enable them in control panel >user accounts, it says: A recently installed program has disabled these functions, to restore these features. IWPDGINA.DLL might help to tell you which program. . .which I think is the wireless. .is there an easy fix, or do I just have to roll back the software? If so, to which one?

Thanks

ade.h 21:56 15 Jan 06

Is FUS responding to changes made in services.msc or is that not working either?

TicTacToc 22:16 15 Jan 06

Assuming FUS, is fast user swapping, I'm not sure what quite what you mean.. .

I think the logging on and user switching is the only thing afffected and I think the services are workgin as normal.

ade.h 22:36 15 Jan 06

Okay; you need to run services.msc, in which you will find Fast User Switching, and try to change it from there. Double-click on it.

TicTacToc 22:56 15 Jan 06

ah i see, it is started and on though. I restarted it a few times, with no luck, and all the options seemed normal . . .
Thanks for the help anyway. .

ade.h 23:04 15 Jan 06

Well you can't roll back firmware, only drivers and Windows' system state.

Next step; completely uninstall the offending devices and then run Crap Cleaner click here and System File Checker - sfc /scannow.

TicTacToc 19:07 17 Jan 06

hi its sorted now i think now.

I reinstalled the firmware, remembering I had selected an option called 'pre logon connect' when reinstalling I unticked this and my problems went away.

About rolling back, if I go to my Adapter Settings, and then firmware, there is a big button to roll back to previous installation of firmware. . .not sure if this is what you said couldn't be done or not. .

ade.h 19:22 17 Jan 06

I was generalising, but it is very rare to find any hardware in which you can roll back firmware. The system for flashing firmware is commonly done from a command prompt - sometimes even in a DOS sub-environment - and thus is not necessarily designed to allow a rollback.

What you have in your case is a form of dual firmware ROM chip, somewhat like a dual BIOS, which stores the previous firmware version for you. A very few types of hardware are beginning to adopt this feature. I hope that it will become the norm, but I know that's wishful thinking!

arnabmit 22:04 21 Aug 06

Just go to add-remove programs and modify the Intel Proset Wireless. Uncheck the "Pre-Logon Connection" and apply. On reboot u will be presented with the normal Welcome screen instead of the Network Logon screen.

ade.h 22:36 21 Aug 06

This is an eight month old thread that has already been resolved and the OP was not using ProSet. So quite why you have bothered to resurrect it, I really don't know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac