My New HDD

tbh72 16:26 15 Jan 03
  tbh72 16:26 15 Jan 03

It's been a while since I brought a new hardrive. OK I admit it, 2.5 years. Anyway this is the dilema. I cant remember how to setup it up!!!... By that, I mean I want the drive to be partitioned a certain way. A little forward thinking here. This is what I want.

C: Microsoft Windows 98se (Current) 2.5gb
D: Microsoft XP (Future Planning) 2.5gb
E: A Shared Drive (Where Possible) Eg for installing software on 5.0gb
F: Purely For Music Files.

Here's my question, Do I need to create 2 primary partitions, one for drive C: & one for drive D:? I can't remember wether the second operating system sit's in a primary or extended partition.

Thank's in advance for your advice with this matter.

Legolas 16:39 15 Jan 03

Dont take this as gospel but I think extra partitions are made as logical drives

Legolas 16:43 15 Jan 03

Take a look here click here

BLH 16:49 15 Jan 03

It migth help to take a look at other postings,
at the top of page see helproom type Duel Boot & tick all discussions. I think you might find your answer there.Hope this helps.

siarad 16:56 15 Jan 03

Primary means first, you can't have two firsts, all others will be extended.

flecc 19:14 15 Jan 03

An IDE drive can have four primaries. One is needed to enclose the extended partition if any logical drives are needed, so the other three can have Windows systems on them, these need primaries.

In your case you need a primary for the 98SE, space for a primary for the XP, and then the primary to hold any data (logical) partitions. You can just leave a space for XP if you wish since it will format as it installs, or format it ready for the installation.

Choose the FAT32 file system for the XP installation as NTFS will not be compatible with the 98SE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…