Is my new Hard Drive too noisy?

spencer boy 21:45 18 Nov 07

Hi,

Just brought a new Packard bell J2412 from pc world with a 250gb sata 7200rpm hard disk. When the hard drive starts to work it is quite noisey rattling and keeps on rattling for quite a while. Not sure how noisey these hard drive should be - my old pc was a lot quieter than this.

What is an acceptable level for the noise coming out of hard drives?

Any general advice would be great or if anyone has one of these pc - whats the noise levels you get?

thanks.

Technotiger 21:47 18 Nov 07

It should certainly NOT rattle, should be almost completely silent.

I would get it back to pcworld for their attention.

spencer boy 22:00 18 Nov 07

cheers for that - even when i am not doing anything it gives a few seconds whirl/rattle now and then - and even wheni access teh hard drive by simple clicking an icon it gives the same whirl... u shoudl hear teh rattle when installing something on it and after it has installed.

at least i am not going mad lol

Totally-braindead 22:50 18 Nov 07

It could be something as simple as one of the screws being loose. Without hearing it myself I cannot say for definate that theres anything wrong with it obviously but a rattle sound would concern me so I think taking it back is a sensible precaution.

spuds 23:06 18 Nov 07

I am thinking naughty things here, like refurbished or returns.Usually when an hard-drive is noisy, it can lead to many things, which are best investigated. Take it back to PC World and let their Tech Guys look at it. If you do decide to take it back, make sure that you keep records of events.

Have you loaded many programmes like graphic and design since you purchased the computer. Have you checked the fan's for noise?.

spencer boy 07:55 19 Nov 07

ta for rely - its straight out the box - going to take it back - the noise when turning it on and its booting up is like a lawnmower - realy bad. the fan sounds fine - just teh normal low level noise which i would expect. just the hard drive is making the grinding rattling noise.

Diemmess 10:30 19 Nov 07

If you haven't already returned it you could try disconnecting the power lead to the HD.
If the noise has gone (though it won't boot) - case proved!

Its academic anyway but would prove something to yourself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…