My New 9800 Pro - my pride and glory - broken?

Jsimbaz 11:55 21 May 05

hey all,

i have:
Intel P4 3.0ghz (clocked to 3.3) with HT
80GB Maxtor Hdd (ide)
Gigabyte mobo (sorry - can't find model no.)
Ebuyer 600w psu
512mb pc2700 ram in 1x512
Ati Radeon Sapphire 9800 Pro

I installed my new graphics card yesterday, replacing my ageing ati 9200se, I kept the drivers i had because no driver cd came with the card. After installing i checked everything was ok with dxdiag and i found no problems (dx 9.0c installed) direct3d was working. After playing rainbow six for about 30mins my computer froze, no ctrl+alt+del available it just stopped responding all together. I reset the pc and found (in dxdiag) that no direct3d was available (error msg: Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.) I am now needing help because im confuzzled!

Can anyone pinpoint the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Technotiger 12:00 21 May 05

Hi, have you tried updating the driver from the ATI site?

Arthur Scrimshaw 12:00 21 May 05

with the correct version. Get the latest from your card manufacturer, or failing that go to the ATI website click here - also you must completely remove all the old drivers before attempting to instal the new one. There is an ATI utility to do this. Download it at the same time as your card drivers.

Joe R 12:00 21 May 05

Jsimbaz,

Download the latest drivers for your card from here, and uninstall the drivers you are using just now.

Joe R 12:01 21 May 05

click here

Download the latest drivers from here, and uninstall the ones you are using just now.

Jsimbaz 12:04 21 May 05

thanks - i will do that now and report back soon

Jsimbaz 13:37 21 May 05

yea looks good, pc seems very hot though, fans blowing out very hot air for once!

Jsimbaz 19:31 21 May 05

random crashes

i am experiencing random crashes - they usually happen when I play games or run benchmarking software (pcmark04 and aquamark3)

Josh

2neat 19:57 21 May 05

Do you think 'clocked to 3.3' might have anything to do with it?

Jsimbaz 19:58 21 May 05

well, this has worked fine for about 6 months - would changing the graphics card make a difference?

gudgulf 19:59 21 May 05

You are either overheating or your graphics card dosen't like the higher pci bus speed(assuming you haven't locked it to 33/66 pci/agp speeds).Check that the fan on the graphics card is spinning and that the case ventilation holes are not clogged up with fluff.Reset your pc to standard clock speeds.You need to get your pc running smoothly and reliably before overclocking it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…