My Network won't Network

Chris5 22:27 05 Oct 04

I have two Pc's connected to a Netgear DG834G Modem/Router. One(running XP Pro) is connected by ethernet, the other(running 98SE) is connected by wireless. The Internet connection works perfectly on both, but they won't communicate with each other. I set up the network using XP's wizard. The one connected by wireless has a name, which shows correctly in the "attached devices" section of the router. The ethernet PC also has a name, but appears as "UNKNOWN" in the router. Research suggests that's because I have a software firewall on that PC which will block file sharing, so I've disabled it - made no difference at all. Anyone got any more suggestions ?

Lectron 22:46 05 Oct 04

When this happened to me it was because I had forgotten to 'share' the C: drives on my PC's (after reinstalling windows after a virus. It nearly drove me nuts till the penny dropped.

Another thought - is the XP firewall turned off? This can also stop one PC on a network seeing the other.

Good luck.

applemac 22:52 05 Oct 04

I am in a similar pickle re network. Using the same router and xp I just can't get the pc to see the router. I have used the ip settings suggested by netgear ip address is 192.168.0.5subnet 255.255.255.0 and router is 192.168.0.1. When using th eping command I just can't get it tp see the router. Where am I going wrong.

Jeffers22 22:53 05 Oct 04

The default name for a local network in W98 is WORKGROUP, in XP it is MSHOME. Check these, also check they are both on the same subnet mask (type ipconfig /all from a command prompt on each machine) 255.255/255/0 (often/usually) (I had the devil of a job with the same problem when I set my network up (also netgear kit)

Chris5 17:07 16 Oct 04

Thanks for your help - finally cracked it this afternoon. The problem was caused by my Zone Alarm Firewall. The thing is, disabling it isn't enough. It has to be physically uninstalled before it gives up !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…